Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Return of the Turban!

We recieved another submission on the subject of turbans from Betty JoDee (yea!! the crowd goes wild!!!)....I had totally forgotten Liz Taylor's headwear in that movie! I think it looks more like a huge bouquet of flowers...it's freakin' awesome and snorting milk from your nose hilarious.

I finally found what I've been looking for: the turban worn by Elizabeth Taylor in The Mirror Crack'd (1980). Taylor and Kim Novak play aging, *itchy movie stars while murder's afoot. Rock Hudson, Tony Curtis, and Angela Lansbury (Miss Marple) are along for the ride. By the way, the lines that are being muttered at the time of this shot are:

Marina (Taylor): "Lola, dear, you know, there are really only two things I dislike about you."
Lola (Novak): "Really? What are they?"
Marina (Taylor): "Your face."

(I think that might be Jolly in the background.) (well spotted!)

Betty JoDee
(Is it okay for me to be a Betty, too? I didn't ask ahead of time.) Betty JoDee, of course it's okay for you to be a Betty - we are equal opportunity Bettys here at The Uncrushable Jersey Dress.

7 comments:

  1. Bettys, Bettys everywhere! Woot!

    First, I like the cut of your jib. Second, Elizabeth Taylor turbans have to be the Empress of Turbans. If she couldn't work it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I searched for "turban" at GFY, the website where the Fugly Girls decide whose fashion crimes are worthy of disdain (and some wickedly funny humor). The first two pix are of turbans -- one from this week! -- and after that the hair is unadorned until you get to the bottom.

    Go here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. See what I mean. Give a turban an inch and it'll take a mile...

    Also, I think Betty Magdalen and I might be soul sisters on the whole "What did they wear to the Oscars?" scene. I am not fashionable but deeply love fashion. Riddle me that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty Keira -- Aren't you convinced that at some point your ancestors on the Mayflower and my ancestor/indentured servant on the Mayflower may have "flowered" more than anyone knew and we ARE related? I like that idea. We can be long lost cousins who discover each other through our views on Betty Neels books and charter memberships in the Fashion Police Benevolent Society.

    Can't wait for the family reunion, cuz.

    (Seriously, you do realize that when this Betty Neels Phenomenon reaches its apogee, we're going to have to have a Betty Neels Day and all come visit you in the Pacific Northwest. I'll bring the chocolate digestives...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll make the sausage rolls...We'll put on our best felt hats (with a flattering brim) and court shoes.

    And extra points for 'apogee'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll make the lardy cake...and dig through my wardrobe for a Jaeger suit that will go with my Marks and Spencer blouse.

    ReplyDelete