An anonymous Betty recently commented on Betty Keira's magnificently entertaining review of Ring in a Teacup, saying, amongst other sapient things, that it's one of her favorites. (There I go, just assuming the commenter is female.) I love Ring in a Teacup myself, but it will never be a favorite – because of that ludicrous, horrible, ridiculous final scene, when Lucy runs away from Fraam's home, checks into a hotel without any money, and gets locked into her room by an hotel employee, who phones Fraam to let him know they've got a penniless impostor claiming to be his fiancée penned up on the premises. This, for me, qualifies for inclusion on the short list of competitors for Worst Betty Scene Ever.
Other contenders? Please share your views.
Betty JoDee: pages 1 through 224 of The Hasty Marriage, but especially the wedding;
Betty Anonymous: the Worst Betty Scene Ever is still better than anyone else’s best;
Betty Keira: cold, damp Scotland and Eliza charging a hill and being outflanked by a major meteorological event;
Betty Debbie: each description of Sarre’s parenting ‘skills’.
Oooh, ooh – I’m also nominating:
- scenes in which Maggy speaks in Scots dialect, even though the action may be magnificent, amusing or thrilling, as the random insertion of 'och' and 'wee' is sheerly irritating;
- every ruddy time Ivo and Julia discuss how unappealing intelligence is in a woman;
- Loveday plotting with Sieska or whatever her name is to get her married to a gold-digger via cruise ship skullduggery that makes absolutely no sense at all. Why couldn’t she just have written as Loveday saying, ‘well, let’s go on a cruise so you can get to know him better and we don’t have to tell your cousin that golddigger will be on the ship, too’;
- Alcoholic Louisa of Heaven Around the Corner being prescribed 1-2 alcoholic beverages per day; and
- Jake, that pompous twit, abusing Browning to his own ends, in All Else Confusion.
What say you, Betties?