Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Reading with Betty Lauri

Introduce yourself-
I am almost 61 years old, I currently work as a NP in a Urology practice, however that may change soon.  Before that I worked as a NP for Reproductive Endocrinologist who specialized in Infertility. Before that I was a Labor & Delivery nurse on a High Risk OB unit for 13 years and before that I was in the Air Force for 14 years as a military linguist (Russian).
Betty Keira has some Russian questions when you get a second.

I am married for 38 years, have 2 sons, one in the USAF and one going to Army BCT the end of this month.  The one in the AF is married to a lovely Japanese woman and they have a son who will be 8 in July.  I miss seeing them but now I get to go to England every year to visit.  

When did you start reading Betty Neels-
I don't know, I read Harlequins in High School but don't remember any specific Betty books.  I may have picked some up at the BX when we were in Japan.  I know I got some when we moved back to Indiana at 1/2 price books, that was in 1991.

What is your favorite book(s) and why?-
Fate is Remarkable, because I love the story and the hero & heroine. That he went to the ends of the earth to find her.
Hugo van Elven was not going to let a little thing
like an impassable mountain stand in his way.

Least favorite and why?-
The one with the alcholic sister, because of her and her brother. I did love the descriptions of Norway though.  

What appeals to you about Betty Neels novels and why do you find yourself attached to them?- I
 like them because they remind me of a gentler pace of life and that there are happy ever afters. I also love her descriptions of settings, clothes and foods.  She makes things come alive.  I got my interest in the Netherlands and parts of England from her books.

What is your favorite genre(s) to read?- 
Fiction, I will read anything. I have very eclectic reading tastes. I love Jan Karon's Mitford Series. I have all the books and I go back to them often. I like books with Asian characters, WWII stories, spy novels, etc.

Do you have a favorite book in any of these genres?
  • Children's/Picture book- Ferdinand, Angus series, Goodnight Moon, Mike Mulligan's Steamshovel, Blueberries for Sal, Make Way for Ducklings, Frog and Toad series.  The old fashioned books.

Betty Keira approves.
  • Classics- Steinbeck
  • Mystery- Alexander McCall Smith and The Number One Ladies Detective Agency series.  These remind me of an African Betty story.  There is a delightful Veronical that reappears a lot.
  • Sci-fi/Fantasy- Not into this however I did read the Dune series and C.S. Lewis's Out of the Silent Planet group when I was dating my now husband.
  • Biography/Autobiography- Billy Graham's Autobiography
  • Non-fiction- Mostly travel books
  • YA- I read the Hunger Games and a series that had a group called Abnegation and other groups, heck maybe they were part of the Hunger Games. Didn't make a big impression on me.
What are the five books you would you take if you stranded on a desert island? - 
Bible, A Betty book, Jan Karon's Bedside Companion, one of the books with Father Tim's favorite sayings and a huge Rick Steves travel book on Europe.
Where do you do most of your reading?-
Bed or the downstairs sofa.

What books are in your to-be-read pile?- 
Empress Dowager CiXi, the latest Alexander McCall Book

Do you listen to books? No, I tried listening to The Book Thief and could not get into it. I thought the characters would be different voices and not just one person reading the book.

Do you have any memories of being read to or reading with others?-
Not of being read to but reading to my boys and grandson.

What book was the first one to ignite your interest in reading? 
Dont rememenber but probably the Dick and Jane books in school. And I had a wonderful first grade teacher who really ignited the interest, parents who let me read anything the libray had. I read Leon Uris and Michener in High School.

What's a book you find yourself constantly recommending?
None really because the people that I work with now don't care about reading. But at my prior job the MD and I shared an interest in the Alexander McCall books.
Betty Keira doesn't understand people who don't care about reading.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Interesting vita. And, curiouser and curiouser, most of the books/authors you mentioned, I have never heard of. 😎 Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete