Saturday, July 31, 2010

100% Pure Betty


In light of my busy week this week (camping, bridal shower throwing and husbandly desertion), I'm skipping my regular Betty in the Real World post in favor of a much easier...erm...much more substantive post. (For you, Bettys! All for you!).
This is the one where I share the one-sentence blurbs on the back of some vintage editions and hide my slacker-ish-ness behind the broad, broad shoulders of Gergory Peck. (I digress.) Anyway, how did they distill these awesomely-awesome books into just one sentence? Let's find out:

It was obvious. Nick wasn't coming back!--Sun and Candlelight (Yes! I want to read who this clearly rat-finked Nick is!)

Love wasn't part of their bargain.--An Apple From Eve (Light housework, hostessing, and decorative pink-lampshade baby-sitting is part of their bargain...)

Emily was the envy of the nursing staff.--Winter Wedding (I love this book a LOT more than I love the blurb.)

It was more than a family matter...--Not Once But Twice (Epic fail, Harlequin. The blurb lies there like a bowl of blancmange.)

He was a bad-tempered annoying, arrogant man!--Never The Time and the Place (Sign me up. I must meet this manly paragon who, in my head, looks suspiciously like a certain bookish Mijnheer Peck.)

5 comments:

  1. Can't type now....too busy ogling Gregory Peck.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty Barbara here, (wiping drool from chin..)
    Just spent an entirely enjoyable afternoon watching our Gregory as Captain Hornblower. Sigh--
    (even though he is the direct antithesis of the book description of Hornblower! and no, Ioan Gruffudd doesn't look like the book description either--but I digress.....)
    And How the West Was Won was on too--of course(!) Debbie Reynolds preferred the charming, suave, slightly shady Gregory character over the earnest, hardworking Robert Preston character, wouldn't you?
    We now return to our regularly scheduled broadcast.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, oh, oh, oh!!

    My heart is thumping so fast, I can't type.

    Have I mentioned that Betty Keira is my very best friend, buddy, pal? (Professor van der Hertenzoon will consider Betty Keira a buddy after tonight, too.)

    A few nights ago I ran across "The Big Country" on TV. I was supposed to be doing something, or watching someone, or going somewhere, but I stopped and watched (a la Betty Keira) The. Whole. Thing. *sigh

    I feel certain that Our Betty made an exception for the American Peck from her usual antipathy for American males.

    Did I mention Professor van der Hertenzoon is exceptionally fond of Peck, as well? *laugh

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahahahaha--I love you Betty JoDee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever I can picture one of the vast brood of Dutch doctors abounding in Ms. Neels tomes I visualize Gregory Peck in the role of whomever. It's easy and he never dissappoints.

    ReplyDelete