Friday, July 9, 2010

Cinema Betty

The Most Marvelous Summer has an orphan boy (well, rich doctor...but he is an orphan) who falls in love with a redhead. Conveniently that redhead has a large boisterous family who will bring laughter and joy to his once-empty life. Okay, this literally took me three seconds to think up and I know Betty Bekah will approve:

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Though Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is my favorite movie of the lot (and my least favorite book, what with all the teenage tantrum-ing and angst), he spent all his time mooning after Cho Chang (a Rhoda stand-in for our purposes) and ignoring our plucky redhead heroine which doesn't do at all. I am a huge fan of the books which is probably why my nine-year-old is ho-hum. He can feel my eyes boring into his skull shouting, "I NEED YOU TO LOVE IT!" Also, I spotted the eventual love matches in the first book because CLEARLY Harry would need a family to compensate him for the forfeiture of his parents. In like fashion, Matilda is James' prize.

Victory for Victoria has a fantastic ending wherein Victoria lays siege to her hero's heart. Did someone say siege?

The Two Towers (or Victory for Viggo)

It helps if you think of Alexander as the fortified stronghold of Helm's Deep and Victoria as an angry marauding horde of Saruman's orcs. Sure, the plucky Rohanians (Alexander) manage to hold the orcs (Victoria) off for a few days but a co-mingling (with regrettably more severed limbs than Victory for Victoria) is inevitable.
This is my favorite of the trilogy because I love to get all dreamy about Bernard what's-his-name who plays Theoden, King of Rohan.

Hey there. What's a nice king like you doing in a siege like this?

2 comments:

  1. I find your fascination with much older men quite charming...and very Neels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I never even wondered why Keira loved La Neels so much. All she had to say was 'May-December' romance and I knew. Nathan is a lucky man.

    ReplyDelete