Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Lemon Sorbet

Another easy-Parcheesi summertime dish! Only 4 ingredients, and one of those is water! I got the recipe from the pamphlet that came with our Cuisinart Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker. Hopefully they don't sue me:


Fresh Lemon Sorbet


Ingredients
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon finely chopped lemon zest

Instructions
Combine the sugar and water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer without stirring until the sugar dissolves, about 3 to 5 minutes. Cool completely. This is called a simple syrup, and may be made ahead in larger quantities to have on hand for making Fresh Lemon Sorbet. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
When cool, add the lemon juice and zest; stir to combine. Turn the machine on. Pour the lemon mixture into the freezer bowl, and mix until the mixture thickens, about 25 to 30 minutes. The sorbet will have a soft texture similar to a freshly scooped Italian ice. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the sorbet to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours.
Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.

Verdict: If you have the ingredients for fresh-squeezed lemonade, you have the ingredients for this sorbet. It's both sweet AND tart. I really liked it - but beware, a little goes a long way, taste-wise. Dr. van der Stevejink found it a tad strong (which sooo won't keep him from having seconds)...my two teenage boys liked it - although they found it a bit strong too, although my 15 year old kept eating it and eating it...

I'd like to put a plug in for the Cuisinart appliance. Not only is it simple and easy to use, it's a lot less messy than traditional ice cream freezers. Ours came with two containers - you just keep them in the freezer until you're ready to use them. No muss, no fuss. I could see this being a problem if freezer space is limited, but if it's not, this is a nice little appliance to have on hand.

Lemon Sorbet can be found in Roses and Champagne and Britannia All at Sea.

2 comments:

  1. Love your first photo! Are the daisies in bloom?

    Funny how many flowers I seem to be missing in this semi-tropical climate. You just reminded me, I haven's seen daisies.

    I can't wait until October when I can start planting some flowering shrubs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daisies, roses and clematis are all abloom at my house. My front steps are surrounded by flowers. Flowers that volunteer to bloom, year after year with little to no effort on my part. Because that's the kind of gardener I am.

    ReplyDelete