Friday, January 15, 2010

What do Men Cook?

With Dr. van der Stevejinck going camping tonight, I thought we might discuss what men cook, when they have to cook.

In Neeldom all men can make tea, toast and boil an egg. Either their mother or, more often, their old Nanny taught them to (so that they would never have to starve). Many are capable of "cutting sandwiches". Heroines are always surprised to find their hero so versatile.

I believe in versatility also - I am fully confident that none of the men in my life will ever have to starve - if left to their own devices. Every one of my children can cook. They may not like to, but they can. Ditto Dr. van der Stevejinck. Not only can they heat things up in the oven, or on the barbecue, but they can also follow a recipe and make things from scratch. (I remember the proud day when David van der Stevejinck, at the tender age of twelve, made a lemon meringue pie. From scratch - including the pie crust.)

Several years ago I went on vacation with a friend. I was gone 16 or 17 days. Dr. van der Stevejinck was in Japan on business at the time - so all 6 kids were home alone for 2 or 3 days - before their dad got back home (don't get excited - two of the kids were over 18!). No one starved. A few days before I came home I was able to call home from Uruguay. Despite all the culinary abilities of the various members of my family they were pretty much surviving on cold cereal, ramen, frozen pizzas and ice cream. Let's see, dairy - check, grains - check, meat/protein - check, vegetables - check(ish), fruit - see vegetables. Again, no one starved. And really, that's the whole point.

So what is Dr. van der Stevejinck taking for dinner tonight? I don't know. I do know that he won't starve. Again, that's the point.

5 comments:

  1. Words to live by; "He won't starve."

    Michael knows how to make a plate of pasta, of the mac n' cheese variety. He's more daring and will take the kids out to a restaurant, by himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very Mexican of him. (Sorry Nathan, I couldn't resist)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess we mean Minjeer Dominguez van Injk...;0)

    ReplyDelete