Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wherein I open my first package of lard.

In the words of the van der Stevejinck family "much better than it sounds", "very tasty", "I like the cranberries in it".

I did not have high hopes with this recipe. One word. Lard. I've never purchased lard before, I've never opened a package of lard before, I've never cooked with lard before. The word "lard" just doesn't sound healthy (which I'm pretty sure it's not) or appetizing. It's really rather a shame that we like it so much...because I strongly suspect that there is no such thing as "The Lardy Cake Diet".

I found a recipe for Wiltshire Lardy Cake on a site called The Great British Kitchen. I changed a couple of things about the recipe...because you will not find sultanas, mixed peel or currants in anything that I bake. Yuk. I substituted Craisins (dried cranberries) for the whole lot of that stuff. I also made the basic bread dough in my bread machine.

Betty Debbie's Wiltshire Lardy Cake

Dump in your bread machine:
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 tsp. yeast
1 heaping teaspoon sugar
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 ounce lard
1 teaspoon salt.

Let this mixture run through the "Dough Cycle".

Filling:
2 1/2 ounces lard
3 ounces butter
1 cup Craisins
2 ounces sugar

Grease an 8x10"pan.
Dump dough out of the bread machine onto a well floured surface. Roll out to a rectangle that's about 1/4 inch thick. Dot 1/3 of the lard and butter evenly(ish) over the surface, sprinkle with 1/3 of the sugar and 1/3 of the Craisins. Fold the dough in three, folding the bottom third up and the top third down. Give it a quarter turn, then repeat the process...roll out, dot, sprinkle, fold, turn. Repeat the process one more time then place the dough in the prepared pan. Cover and leave in a warm place for about 30 minutes at - until puffy. Score the top with a criss-cross pattern with a knife, then bake for 30 minutes at 400', until well risen and brown. Turn out and serve immediately or leave to cool on a wire rack.

I thought this recipe would be heavy and dense, but it's more like a cross between croissants and rolls. The cranberries add a nice touch -I highly recommend these. For occasional use only.

10 comments:

  1. You know, you could have baked all of this stuff BEFORE Nathan and I moved to Idaho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno. Lardy cake. There's no really getting past the name, is there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, how long is your list of "things to try"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know "sultana" are golden raisins when you rejected them? Just curious because I'd lived in England over a year (divided among four different occasions from 1971 to 2006) before I learned that.

    Anyway, it does sound lovely. Even without a bread machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. However, not all sultanas are golden in colour. The ones I buy are usually brown/light brown. 😺

      Delete
  5. Yes, I knew about the golden raisin/sultana thing, but I have a strong aversion to cooked raisins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found this place!!! I am home! Lardy cake is one of the foods in her books I so want to try. One sees the word TRY, not bake myself. I fear it wouldn't be very good if the baker were I. Sitting in a cosy corner, dry sherry in hand, I await a slice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome! So excited you found us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found you! At last ... a home where others appreciate Betty Neels like I do. I can't wait to try more of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I'm a betty lover from South America.
    I discovered this author this year and this fascinated with her so vintage novels
    I do not speak or write in English and I am helping the translator to tell them that they have one more follower in your blog.
    See you later !!

    ReplyDelete