Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Question of the Week


In A Secret Infatuation (which I'm almost 1 ba-jillian percent positive was a working title that got slapped on at the last minute) our heroine hears Blah Blah ter Blah introduce himself. He even stays at her house overnight, is presumably introduced to her parents, she falls in love with him and all of them are together for hours.

None of this makes his name any more memorable.

Since my name is a mite unusual I get one of two responses:
  • Kathy. People will be sure they heard me say my name was Kathy. This will be so fixed in their minds that they will never query themselves.
  • What was that? This will be followed by being asked to spell it. They will still probably call me Kee-air-uh rather than K-ear-uh.
I once had a co-worker call me T-ear-uh for a month (if you don't correct them immediately it becomes awk-ward) before I engineered a situation wherein someone else would say my name properly in front of her. (Sounds like a teen-aged thing to do? It was.)

My question is: What do you do when you can't remember a person's name but you can't just say, 'Hey remind me again...'?

6 comments:

  1. I'm always running into people that I recognize and that know my name - but I have no idea of their name (that's what happens when you spend 5 years as Program Director for Cub Scout Day Camp). I just smile and pretend I remember their name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say, Hey, put your number in my cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Hey...you...' That gets me fairly far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I'm with other people, I introduce them, usually the people take over and offer their names. I'm also no longer embarrassed to admit I have difficulty with names. Most people don't mind, in some cases they are relieved because they have trouble also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When people first meet me I put a blanket statement to please ask me my name again later... cuz I probably won't remember theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My standard is: gushed all in one breath and patting on back or extending my hand--"Hi! Have I met you before and should have remembered but have no brain cells left from all these kids of mine sucking them out?" They always laugh and fill me in.

    ReplyDelete