Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Question of the Week

My question this week is about The Plan.

We all have it. If you're a lady like myself, whether you are financially independent or not, you have a Plan. --what to do when disaster strikes. Usually my mental disaster is the death of Mijnheer van Voorhees. Here are The Protocols:
  • Call the mother-in-law (Apologize for being so careless with her son.)
  • Don't spend a penny (outside ordinary bills) for 6 months. (Let's not be rash!)
  • Use the life insurance to pay off the mortgage.
  • Stay at home until the youngest gets into all-day school. (And live sparingly.)
  • Fend off the advances of roving Lotharios.
When Celine of Midsummer Star receives news that her family is insolvent, she starts from square one and gets to a workable plan (B and B!) in a flash. The question is: What mental disasters send you scrambling for a piece of scrap paper that you can do muddled sums on?

4 comments:

  1. Oi. My husband came home as said he is contemplating retirement in the spring instead of in three years. I'm a bit panicked, we're still working on a student loan for out son, I was really thinking we needed to get that cleaned up first and get a newer car.
    Besides, I married Dr Lynnderlync for better and for worse, not for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

    Betty Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I married Dr Lynnderlync for better and for worse, not for breakfast, lunch and dinner."

    Oh Betty Laurel, I just love that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty Barbara here--

    My list making seems to center on what to take should the house be in danger. Granted, I have never had to evacuate due to an approaching fire (or flood)--but I do know what I need to grab given how much warning I have!!
    Tee Hee- the married not for lunch line is old, old, old--but I love it! And it rules our house now that both my husband and I are retired.
    The financials are pretty much taken care of--so I don't make those lists. But what to save in the face of disaster--I worry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My plan is to grab a RDD very quickly--plain-check, mousy hair-check. (He has to have Jollys too.) Professor van der Hertenzoon would understand. (I'm going with that massive age gaps can work the other way--seems only fair.)

    ReplyDelete