Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Toad in the Hole

In Dearest Eulalia, Eulalia is thrilled to come home from a long day at the hospital canteen to find out that Jane is making Toad in the Hole for dinner. I used the recipe from my English Traditional Recipes cookbook, (by Annette Yates).

Toad in the Hole
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
1 1/4 cups cold water
2 tablespoons oil
1 1/4 pound sausages

Heat oven to 425ยบ.

Sift together flour and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the center and break the eggs into it. Mix the milk with 1 1/4 cups cold water, thin gradually stir it into the bowl with the eggs, incorporating the flour and beating well to make a smooth batter. Leave to stand. (Or you can just make it in the blender like I did - adding the wet ingredients first, then the dry).

Pour the oil into an oven proof pan and add the sausages. Put into the hot oven and cook for about 10 minutes until the oil is very hot and the sausages are beginning to brown.

Stir batter and quickly pour it around the sausages and return to the oven. Cook for about 45 minutes or until the batter is puffed up, set and golden brown.

Verdict: Mixed reviews. I can see this becoming a stand-by staple - but with few adjustments. This version was a tad soggy and bland in the middle, although it might just have needed a little longer cooking time. Next time, and there will be a next time, I'm going to add some seasoning to the batter - maybe a little garlic and rosemary (under the theory that you can never have enough garlic).

2 comments:

  1. Ah ha, now this is something I know about. I grew up with my mother making this. You must eat toad-in-the-hole with gravy, silly, that's how to liven up the blandness. I make this a couple times a winter for my family (it's not very healthy, but is hearty in cold weather) -- my vegetarian son even eats the hole -- but passes on the toads! Make a simple onion gravy for best results. (I can pass on a recipe if you need it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Please pass on the recipe! I won't be making it again for a little while, but I would like to try other recipes...later on...after my arteries unclog from this weeks foray into high fat cooking.

    ReplyDelete