Friday, January 28, 2011

Cinema Betty

Love Can Wait had a passel of relations scattered about England.  Dr. James Tait-Bouverie had an embarrassment of aunts--ranging to irascible but tolerable to patronizing and intolerable. To that end, I recommend:
Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
Kate needs a job but, for heavens sake, don't offer her any elderberry wine!
Mortimer (Cary Grant) finds a corpse hidden in a window seat and assumes that Teddy has committed murder under some delusion, but his aunts explain that they are responsible ("It's one of our charities"). They have developed what Mortimer calls the "very bad habit" of ending the presumed suffering of lonely old bachelors by serving them elderberry wine spiked with arsenic, strychnine and "just a pinch of cyanide". The bodies are buried in the basement by Teddy, who believes he is digging locks for the Panama Canal and burying yellow fever victims.


At Odds With Love features a horrid hospital in the back-of-beyond.  What says chancy medical service like:
The Disorderly Orderly (1964)

An orderly has "neurotic identification empathy" - a psychosomatic problem that causes him to suffer the symptoms of others and interferes with his ability to function effectively on the job. 
It's a Jerry Lewis vehicle so I assume you know what you're in for.  I rather like him, myself (I get wobbly when a man puts on a pinky ring), so don't find the slapstick terrible.  I warn you, though, that a reviewer said of it, "[The film] runs dry at the end of the first third — like a juiceless watermelon — and splits open, with about the same results."

5 comments:

  1. LOL! All of the good movies seem to already be gone. I have to confess to watching all of your second pick, but I remember hardly any of it.
    As for Arsnic and Old Lace, it is probably the only Cary Grant movie that I have not sat through entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love arsenic and old lace! Not a Jerry Lewis fan, but the premis does sound funny. have a great day, Bettys. It's snowing here again. Kids are happily building things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty Barbara here--
    LOL, Betty Tia! Arsenic and Old Lace is the only one of Cary Grant's screwball comedies that I can get through! I really much preferred the suave Cary Grant. And when you could get him doing suave and funny at the same time (Charade, Father Goose, Houseboat), Oh My Stars and Garters!!
    Let's just not talk about Jerry Lewis movies, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got an additional cinema pic for Love Can Wait. Rebecca
    While I was reading about Kate with Lady C(h)owder in Norway, I was picuring Joan Fontaine and Florence Bates as Mrs. Van Hopper in the South of France. The whole of THE COURTSHIP of Joan and Laurence was so Betty-esqe. And so like Kate and James as they toured around while his aunt played Bridge. And the two-faced Edythe VanHopper was Aunt Chowder to a tee.

    This could have been a Betty movie. If you stop at the third segment on youtube, before you get to the creepy housekeeper and murder mystery part. It would be fun to do a sample/remix of this movie using all the characters but making them act like Betty would have scripted. Jack Favell (George Sanders part) would make a a great evil friend of James who tries to get Kate to run away to Brighton. Oooo, I'm loving this idea. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooops I posted both to the same video. Here's the one where instead of tennis lessons, they tool around in his car.
    COURTSHIP

    ReplyDelete