Monday, January 17, 2011

Stars Through The Mist - Discussion Thread

A bevy of cross-over characters! Adelaide van Essen, Coenraad and baby Champers (ew) (Sister Peters in Amsterdam), Professor de Wit, Dominic and Abigail van Wiljkelen (Saturday's Child)

Gerard owns a BMW 3.O CSL (in my version it's referred to as a BMW 3 OCSL)coupe and she has gone through a couple of Fiat 500s.  I guess when you compare the retro cartoon look of the Fiat to the retro space-age look of the BMW, the BMW does look much more like a 'serious' automobile. I'm not convinced it looks like it could do an 'enormous speed'...but again, compared to the Fiat I guess it does.

Calvinists vs. Catholics  (Deborah is worried that he won't like that she works at a Catholic orphanage) I found an article that addresses some of the underlying problems:
The third wave of the Reformation, Calvinism, arrived in the Netherlands in the 1560s, converting both parts of the elite and the common population, mostly in Flanders. The Spanish government, under Philip II started harsh persecution campaigns, supported by the Spanish inquisition. In reaction to this persecution, Calvinists rebelled. First there was the Beeldenstorm in 1566, which involved the destruction of religious depictions in Churches. Also in 1566 William the Silent, a convert to Calvinism, started the Eighty Years' War to liberate the Calvinist Dutch from the Catholic Spaniards. The counties of Holland and Zeeland were conquered by Calvinists in 1572. A considerable number of people were Calvinist in Holland and Zeeland at that time already, while the other states remained almost entirely Catholic. The estates of Holland, led by Paulus Buys decided to support William the Silent, the Prince of Orange. All churches in the Calvinist territories became Calvinist and most of the population in these territories converted to or were forced to convert to Calvinism. Because the Netherlands had ceded from Spain over both political and religious issues, it practiced certain forms of tolerance towards people of certain other religions and opened its borders for religious dissenters (Protestants and Jews) from elsewhere, while maintaining its persecution and later discrimination against native Catholics. Descartes for instance lived in the Netherlands for most of his adult life. (excerpt from: History of religion in the Netherlands from Wikipedia)
Wow, Eighty Years' War.

What is the likelihood that the doctor ever would have hired someone susceptible to running away with a Claude?  Discuss.

Deborah has an aunt who lives in a town called 'Twice Brewed', hard by Hadrian's Wall.  As unlikely as this name appears to be, Betty Neels did not invent it.  Nope, I was able to find it on google maps.The next time you take a walking tour of Hadrian's Wall, you could stay in the inn. Here's what I found on wiki:

Once Brewed, also known as Twice Brewed or Once Brewed/Twice Brewed is a village in Northumberland, England. It lies on the Military Road (Northumberland) B6318.

According to a sign in the Once Brewed Youth Hostel, there first was a Twice Brewed Inn, and the youth hostel was therefore called "Once Brewed".
Once Brewed is in the parliamentary constituency of Hexham.
The village consists of the Twice Brewed inn, an YHA youth hostel and a visitor centre to the Northumberland National Park, and also some farms. One of the farms is a bit further away, and is called "West Twice Brewed" on the Ordnance Survey maps.
Both the Twice Brewed Inn and the youth hostel are popular sleeping places for walkers on the Hadrian's Wall Path and the Pennine Way.
The Twice Brewed Inn is just about half way between
Carlisle and Newcastle Upon Tyne, at the southern end
of the Northumbrian National Park.

14 comments:

  1. I've been to Twice Brewed! In 2005, Betty Henry and I -- back when we were still married -- got invited to a wedding in the Lake District. The wedding itself was in the church where Wordsworth worshiped; he's buried in the churchyard.

    Anyway, before we attended the wedding, we stayed two nights (I think) at Sharrow Bay, which is a VERY Betty-worthy inn on Lake Ullswater. (Mosey on over to this website and watch the slideshow for a while. Dreamy.)

    And before that, we'd driven to Durham to wander around the cathedral, then up to Hadrian's Wall, which we toured pretty thoroughly as we headed west to Carlisle. And I'm pretty sure I remember Twice Brewed. How could I forget it, with such a wonderful name.

    I think The Great Betty used a lot of real place names -- towns, restaurants, even shops -- in her books. One I was reading recently had a nice trip to Edinburgh; as Betty Ross and I are going there in May, I may con up on all our options by rereading the itinerary in that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty Barbara here--

    Since that Gina Fratini dress caused so much trouble, here's a bit of info on the designer:

    Gina Fratini was a member of the London boutique movement in the 1960s, known for her romantic, elegant designs. She began her career in theatre costume design, recognizeable in the dramatic aspect of her evening wear.
    In 1971 one of her dresses was chosen by Princess Anne for her birthday portrait. Princess Diana was a fan of her clothes.


    I was looking for a picture that would match the description of the dress Deborah bought. This one is close.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That one is a wedding gown. But this one is just as awful. Forgive me, if you liked it, but I mean REALLY? It looks like something the female reverend would be wearing at the ceremony. They both do.

    gina fratini nightgovn - I mena evening gown!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that didn't work. Sorry.
    Try this, in addition to the night/eveninggown, it's got a lovely little number that Betty Keira might enjoy, what with her feelings toward pinafores.
    http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/3648552

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betty Barbara here--
    Betty Mary--LOL! My thoughts when I saw the one I referenced was 'maternity wear' for wealthy Victorian lady!!!
    Alas, Betty Magdalen, the lovely dress Fratini did for Princess Diana is from the 80's at the earliest. Though I do believe that our Deborah would look smashing in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is no excuse for that black and coral pinafore thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exactly, Betty Barbara. You've hit it much closer to the bullseye. Although it would be a smashingly fashionable cassock for a female minister! ha ha
    Pretty dress, Betty Magdalen, but alas ours has long sleeves and a high neck, so although I'd vote for yours, it's not what Betty dressed poor Deborah in.
    And old Claude is even more demented if that choir robe of a dress whips him into a fit of passion!
    Gotta agree, Betty Kylene. But some goofball paid to buy that 40 year old piece of ... green velvet. Yep, even though it looks black, a careful read reveals it is dark green velvet with floral chiffon sleeves. And they are both size 12, with a 34 inch bodice. So, fear not, even if you fit that size, unless you are an evil fiance with a flat chest, it aint workin' for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Regarding Trudi, and why our hero hired her:
    1. Good help is hard to find.
    2. GVD inherited her from his older predecessor.
    3. GVD got her by putting an ad in the Nurses Times magazine, where all good nurses and office help go when desperate for a job.
    4. She's the niece of an old family retainer who came from a good family, but was neglected by her father and has therefore turned to the only source of love available...or some such nonsense.
    5. This guy couldn't even intuit that the nurse he saw everyday was in love with him, how's he supposed to know that Trudi has the hots for Claude.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't anyone here as old as I am? I made a pinafore dress back then and loved it. Today it would look nearly as hideous as the green & black thing. (Actually, not that bad. As I recall, it was a pretty blue & off-white print dress with a cream pinafore. Mind you, I must have looked like the chubby "tweenie" you send up to do the fireplaces before the family gets up, but I thought it was luverly.)

    I'm sure Betty went shopping and picked out stuff that she liked. She was a sweet granny age when she wrote even her first book, so I make allowances. When I read The Canon I translate all the clothing into something a lot less "of its time" -- and sure, that usually gets me closer to the 80s than the 70s.

    I threw in the Gina Fratini on Princess Di to show that her stuff wasn't all frilly cassocks and parlor-maids-on-crack!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Betty Magdalen,
    I'm very nearly your age, and I too have fond memories of pinafore dresses. We usually called them 'jumpers', not to be confused with the British use of the word (which I think means pull-over sweater?).

    ReplyDelete
  11. A jumper is different from a pinafore. :)

    A jumper can often be worn with nothing underneath (but would usually look quite odd as they were more a fall/winter item so would be made from wool or corduroy)

    A pinafore is basically a skirt (or apron) with a square flap attached at the waist which goes over the chest and straps over the shoulders.

    My "stout" self wore lots of pinafores and jumpers as my mother felt (and I have to agree) that regular skirts and blouses or sweaters on a chubby girl look sloppy. The greatest invention of all time is the body suit - why aren't they more popular? And of course, the baby equivalent - the Onesie. LOVE those things - Babies are so much easier to hold now that their shirts and t-shirts aren't always twisting and bunching up. :)

    When I was a young child, being re-introduced to great-aunts and -uncles year after year at this reunion or funeral, etc., my dad would always introduce the 6 of us in birth order, finishing with, "And this is Cindy Lou, our caboose."

    Invariably, Aunt Bea, or Aunt Margaret would always say, "Oh, she's STOUT!"

    And, because my family wasn't terribly weight-conscious, I had no clue this wasn't a compliment. I was smart and pretty and now, I was STOUT! I remember being so proud of that until I figured out what it meant! ;-)

    me<><

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had BOTH jumpers and 'pinafores' but in our backwater Oregon town, they were ALL called jumpers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the closest I ever got to a pinafore was a corduroy dress with an "overall" (I think American version) type front. Kinda like this.

    ReplyDelete