Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Rice Pudding

I didn't grow up eating rice pudding. I wonder if it's a regional thing? Or a generational thing? My mother never made it for us...as far as I know, neither one of my grandmothers made it. I suppose this will remain one of life's great mysteries.

In Roses Have Thorns, the servants get rice pudding for afters. I found a recipe for rice pudding on allrecipes.com.
Creamy Rice Pudding
3/4 cup uncooked white rice
2 cups milk, divided
1/3 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
2/3 cup golden raisins (...or not)
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1.In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
2.In another saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups cooked rice, 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk, beaten egg and raisins. Cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in butter and vanilla. Serve warm.

Verdict: I will admit right up front that I didn't put any raisins or sultanas in...that's a bridge I'm not willing to cross. The flavor was just fine...my problem is textural. It reminded me of a problem in factories. The problem is Foreign Object Debris (FOD)...it's like when a surgeon leaves a scalpel in a patient. The rice pudding is somewhat like that - a perfectly good pudding with lots of lumpy bits. Don't get me wrong, I can see this being a comfort food, which it is for Dr. van der Stevejinck - he's going to be thrilled.

12 comments:

  1. That is exactly how I feel about rice pudding (which is my dad's favorite dessert.) If ONLY it didn't have chunks of rice in it it would be delicious. I wish I could strain it out. As it is I never touch the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rice Pudding was one of the few desserts my mom cooked. We all loved it. I still remember it fondly, despite the later catastrophe.
    Mom's recipe used sweetened condensed milk. When I first married, I tried to duplicate it. Mom wasn't much of a sharer, so I tried to do it myself.
    This was way before googling recipes. I happened to have an almost full can of sw. cond. milk in the fridge. I'm not sure what it had been opened for or how long before. I made the rice pudding for my new husband. He ate it. It tasted fine. The next day he was sooooo sick. I didn't get sick, but he blamed that rice pudding and to this day he goes green if I even say the name.
    Needless to say, my kids have not be given a chance to create fond memories like I had of this lovely dessert.
    I like the texture and the flavor. You could try blending it or putting it through a sieve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love rice pudding. I love raisins. So my reaction to Betty Debbie's aversion to raisins, rice pudding, and rice pudding with raisins would be: More for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be more than happy to share the extra rice pudding...if there was any, but knowing Dr. van der Stevejinck as I do, I can confidently say that there won't be any leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love rice pudding, but I can understand an aversion to clumps of cold rice. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betty Barbara here--
    Last winter, when I was well under the weather, Betty Margaret brought me some of her freshly made Rice Pudding--very good and very soothing!
    Kudos to Betty Margaret!!!

    Dare I mention Tapioca Pudding? Because that is my All-Time Favorite!! But I can't duplicate my Mom's recipe and she made The Best Evah!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even though I don't care for the texture of rice pudding, tapioca is fine. I think it's because the lumps are smoother. I can't remember the last time I had it - it's been quite a while.

    My personal favorite pudding is banana...I make that relatively often - it's a great way to use up bananas that are getting a little too ripe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Betty Debbie -- I have a two-fer for you: a recipe from the London Times cookbook for a banana bread that is really a divine English tea bread and SO much nicer than what we think of as banana bread. Yeah, okay, so it has raisins in it, but you could leave those out. It also has glacé cherries, but you could handle those, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Betty Sherri here. I used to go to the Lenz's and they put sugar and cream on their rice so I learned to like it. I have made rice pudding and found I liked it better by adding a little more milk, brown sugar instead of white and a nice scraping of a vanilla bean. It is more like tapioca in texture if you use a short grain rice (buy the cheap broken rice store brand) and it has a caramel-y flavor which makes everything better in my book. BUT still no raisins!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Betty Sherri, what's the broken rice store brand? Is it a brand called "Broken Rice"? Or are store brands full of broken rice?--'Cause I want to try your version.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Betty Sherri can set me straight, but the impression I got was that rice packaged under the house brand (as opposed to Uncle Ben's, for example) is likely to be the broken grains of rice rejected by Uncle Ben. It wouldn't be the prettiest rice, but that would work well for rice pudding.

    However, there is (in our supermarket, at least) medium grain rice, which might do just as well. And medium grain rice packaged under the house brand could be the perfect pudding rice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do like tapioca pudding - I think the difference is the hard grains vs chewy

    ReplyDelete