Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Question of the Week

It's those stinking Cheerios bringing me down...
Last week we had the wonderful image of the heroine of Roses Have Thorns wielding her purse as a weapon:

Sarah unslung her shoulder-bag, heavy with hymn and prayer books, and aimed it at the youth ahead of her. It caught him behind the knees so that he toppled over and, much heartened by this success, she swung the bag once more towards a second youth.

Ah, Sunday bags.  Here's what can be found in mine on any given Sabbath:  Baby wipes, diapers, scriptures, enough spiral notebooks for 4 children, two or three matchbox cars, a clutch of colored pencils, outdated church fliers, a baggie of Cheerios, church magazines, lesson manuals, tiny pirate figurines, crayons, small cards with religious-themed art (no pirates here), the odd paper sacrament cup...etc.

It's an old L.L. Bean heavy canvas beach tote.  I could easy clock a mugger, if pressed.

So, what's in your bag?

* FYI, when I went to Google 'Sunday bag' the first several images were of golf bags...snort.

3 comments:

  1. Same handbag for all days of the week, but for what it's worth, it contains the following:
    Wallet
    Cell phone
    At least one book and/or Kindle
    Plastic bag with toiletries (left over from last time we flew anywhere)
    Plastic bag with business cards; elsewhere an antique brass business card case
    Assorted pens, pencils, lip balm ("Softlips" is the only brand I buy), etc.
    Currently the Nintendo DS (for the Professor Layton game I'm playing); sometimes I'll have the iPod in there
    Copious amounts of the detritus that collects at the bottom of handbags, including but not limited to old receipts, loose coinage, empty wrappers, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, this reminds me of Let's Make a Deal or many of the showers I've been forced, I mean, invited to last year.

    In my black 3 pocket pocket bag
    I found in there today
    Twelve Paper Store Reciepts
    Eleven Various Coinage
    A Ten Dollar Bill
    Nine Octopus Hair Clips (a mom & 8 babies)
    Eight Plastic Cards
    Seven Ibuprofen tabs
    Six Writing Utensils - one has a snowman eraser
    A Five Decade Rosary
    Four Herbal Teas Bags
    Three Caffeine Pills
    Two Plastic Utensils
    And One Vanilla Lip balm from the dentist

    And my wallet, Dental Floss, a Headlight, and
    and an almost empty tube of Metrogel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a mom with no kids for whom I am responsible, my bag is much, much lighter these days. I carry a wad of tissues (or a purse pack if we're organized), sunglasses, an eye glass case for my cheaters, cheaters (they are never in the case), a couple of writing implements, a big fat little notebook, check book, digital camera, Altoids, keyring with various keys and a gazillion store cards, toothbrush and my wallet.

    At any given time I may have a novel, my sketch book and pencils, journal, Bible, or any combination of the above.

    When I was toting kids around, add a sippy cup, a diaper or two, three or ten Matchbox cars and/or small animal figurines, crayons.

    And when I was working as a private duty home health aid my bag always contained a stick of deodorant, one or two pairs of clean underwear, and copious amounts of .. um personal things.

    For about 15 years I carried a messenger bag daily. It just made things so much easier. ;-)

    Now I can actually pare things down to a neat little clutch or one of the pretty novelty purses I've collected.

    me<><

    ReplyDelete