Thursday, January 6, 2011

Roses Have Thorns--Discussion Thread

She was definitely from the other side of the baize door...

The other servants at Lady Wesley's recognized Sarah as 'definitely from the other side of the baize door'. Sarah is a 'lady' (not to be confused with the occasional purple-clad and imperious Lady in Neelsdom--her title bought by charitably donating the proceeds from making toilet plungers, perhaps). Sarah, like all 'ladies', knows how to tip doormen (even when down to her last farthing), knows that to refuse early-morning tea in bed will save Cook from marching up the stairs and taxing her gouty leg, and knows that compressing a bleeding wound is the first course of action.

Mr. Cork bangs the dinner gong louder than usual. Dinner gongs. Hmmm. I'm sort of for them. I have a bell (a leaf and a partridge--just go with it) that I haven't found the right place to hang. But when I do, I shall have occasion to ring the dinner bell louder than usual.

A New Yorker urges Sarah to get in the Professor's car. I'm taking bets on what kind of accent she heard to assume their hometown. Bronx cabbie on a holiday?

Mrs. Boots has had her varicose veins 'done once'. I had a Facebook friend (defined as someone you might be hard pressed to remember and since 'friending' retain merely for communications regarding varicose vein treatments) who had them done (and after four pregnancies of my own I was sympathetic to her needs--I no longer think it is worth my time to glance below my thighs if I don't have the bracing presence of supportive hose). Anyway, afterward she had to wear surgical socks for weeks on end. Take-away? The future is not as awesome as promised.


P.S. How do you get to be a surgical equipment model anyway?

2 comments:

  1. Betty Barbara here--
    Aha! Found the scene with the woman from New York urging Sarah to get into the Prof's car. Not so much a Bronx cabbie, but maybe Fran Drescher, (especially the exaggerated accent from The Nanny)?? That would be my bet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of Ladies: (which Betty Keira was in topic one). I was raised by a English born Irish Lady. Talk about identity clashes. She had a love/hate relationship with everything English. It's kind of hard to dislike the place where you spent your first 12 years. She had two conflicting influences, my grandfather - the IRA member(in the days before the Irish Republic when they were like our patriots) and my grandmother who was 1/4 English and trained Mom in all the 'proper' behavior. Which she taught her five daughters, all the while allowing the 5 guys to behave like English Lords and/or Irish Revolutionaries!
    Thanks to Mom,I'd be equally comfortable with Mrs. Boot or Lady Wesley. And after dealing with my brothers, an RDD would be a walk on a dike!

    ReplyDelete