Tuesday, February 1, 2011

British Word of the Day

Adj. 1. sluttish - characteristic of or befitting a slut or slattern; used especially of women
blowsy, blowzy, slatternly, untidy - not neat and tidy; "careless and untidy in her personal habits"; "an untidy living room"; "untidy and casual about money"
2. casual and unrestrained in sexual behavior
 [Middle English slutte.]


Use: Shirley Bates--Leonora recognized the voice at once.  A cheerfully sluttish young woman living in one of the houses behind the main street.  She had a brood of small children, a careless, easygoing husband and was known for her laziness.--Daughter of the Manor


Okay.  Keep your bloomers on.  This isn't the sort of word nice ladies use.


My favorite use of the word in its more common sense is in the movie Overboard.  Kurt Russell is telling Goldie Hawn all about the life she supposedly lead before becoming an amnesiac.  He goes on and on, torturing her with how awful it was in such a cheerful way and she turns to the mirror with a dead look in her eyes and says, 'I was a short. fat. slut.'


I don't think I'd have the chutzpah to use it just to say someone is sloppy and I don't know how often it's used that way for Brits either.  (Hmm.  If only we had a Brit hub to tell us...)  I suppose a similarly derogatory term a crass American might use for that sort of thing might be 'trailer trash'. 

8 comments:

  1. But consider that in the UK the word "homely" is a compliment, meaning cozy and comfy.

    I may move in rarefied circles, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone in the UK use "sluttish" in conversation. I'll admit, I was shocked to read it in a Betty Neels...

    But here's my favorite Brit Word: sorted, which they pronounce more like "sordid." It means something's taken care of, worked out or solved.

    When I was planning my wedding to Betty Ross we had some planning sessions at his brother's house in Naburn, just south of York. Michael and Bryony are lovely, smart, church-going folk. Bryony, in particular, is very special.

    Which is why it was so funny when she asked what we were planning for Betty Ross's bachelor party. "Well, there are strip clubs in Leeds. Sorted!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty Magdalen is correct that "homely" is a positive term when applied to someone's kitchen, or welcoming atmosphere in their house. Or to a small hotel or hostelry selling a "home away from home". A Brit might be more inclined to say "homestyle" ("homestyle jam"). But please do not call a woman "homely", because that is a euphemism for "physically unattractive", even in the UK.

      Delete
    2. Down here in "Tejas" your kitchen is homey or cozy. Call someone homely and you'll get "sorted", only we call it "whooped".

      Betty von Susie

      Delete
  2. Betty Barbara here--
    Yep, add me to the list of "Betty said what??" when I read that line. Thanks for the Brit definition, because in general US usage, 'slut' has only sexual connotation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Careless and Easygoing...My goodness, if Shirley has a bunch of kids and is sluttish, that's got to be an understated description of Mr. Bates!

    It is funny how the meanings change going over the ocean. Betty Brigid (my daut. who lives in Ireland) suggested Prof. Barry use a fanny pack when hiking, he almost swallowed his tongue. I guess, over there, Fanny is equal to our word that starts with P and can be combined with Willow. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty Barbara here--
    Oh My, Betty Mary--yes, it was a revelation(!!!)the difference between where the American 'fanny' is located and where the UK 'fanny' is located. See here for a fairly clinical definition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My New Zealand-born Mother uses sluttish (not slutty) to describe a woman who is a poor housekeeper, and/or has a pack of unruly (as a matter of course!) children, a messy yard, etc. She is not putting a sexual connotation on it, it's definitely a dig at someone's housekeeping abilities. Anyone watch Keeping Up Appearances? The married sister (and brother-in-law, IMO) would be "sluttish," the unmarried and man-hungry sister would be a "tramp," in my Mum's vernacular!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual, I had to ask Prof. van der Hertenzoon about "P" and "willow." He replied, "What are you guys doing on that blog?"

    ReplyDelete