Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Pumpkin Pancakes

I admit to being lazy about regular pancakes (yes, to my shame, I use a mix), but when pancakes are called for by my youngest, it's never regular ones...it's Pumpkin Pancakes.  I'm more than happy to oblige (any chance to get vegetables into him)!  I keep the recipe taped to the inside of my cupboard door - it's been there for years. 


There's nothing to it...sift dry ingredients together, mix wet ingredients together, then mix wet and dry together.  If you don't have all the spices, a similar amount (1 1/2 teaspoons) of pumpkin pie spice can be substituted. If you find the batter too thick, add more milk.  I cook these on a slightly lower temperature than regular ones - they need time to cook all the way through. 

Pancakes with jam are mentioned in Never Say Goodbye.

4 comments:

  1. I like the idea of the hidden veggie. Do you taste the pumpkin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made pumpkin pancakes - they taste rather like a pumpkin muffin or pumpkin bread. A bit of confectioners' (10x) sugar or - yum - whipped cream and yum!

    me<><

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pumpkin isn't very noticeable - but you can taste it a little. Once you have the syrup or jam on it, it's not very noticeable.

    The texture of these is denser and chewier than regular pancakes. They keep much better than reg. pancakes too.

    We've made these with chocolate chips sprinkled in the batter (for the youngest son) or better yet, blueberries(my favorite).

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I put chocolate chips in them, I'm pretty sure I can make them with spinach and get away with it!

    ReplyDelete