Friday, February 18, 2011

Cinema Betty

No Need to Say Goodbye has a plot that relies heavily on our heroine believing that our hero finds her little sister attractive.  Oh, I've got that one:

The Major and the Minor (1942)
I vant to be alone...
I really love this movie.  Ginger Rogers is so adorable as the hard-up and out-of-luck small town girl fleeing the big, bad city.  What a shame her funds are so low that she can only afford a children's fare back to her home.  (So, back goes the hat, off scrubs the make-up, off go the nylons...) Ray Milland is enchanted by her flopsy-mopsy charade and invites her to his military boarding school for a brief interlude where little Su-Su is very, VERY popular with handsy cadets anxious to try out their inventive but tedious Little Maginot Line line.  Here's a taste:
Cadet Clifford Osborne: Well, the bus is here. The zombies have arrived.
Susan Applegate: Who?
Cadet Clifford Osborne: [disdainfully] The girls from Miss Shackleford's school.
Cadet Lt. Miller: We use 'em for women.

Never the Time and the Place has an actual bona fide white-ish wedding. I love weddings and I love movies with weddings in them and one of my all-time favorites is:
The Wedding Singer (1998)

Julia suddenly realized that an eternity spent with a man who hogged the window seat was untenable.
In 1985, Robbie Hart is a wedding singer from New Jersey. He is engaged to his long-time girlfriend, Linda, who was attracted to him at a time when he dreamed of becoming a rock star. He meets and befriends a waitress, Julia Sullivan, at the reception hall where he regularly performs. Julia is also engaged, to businessman Glenn Gulia.
 It spirals out of control swimmingly, not least when Julia realizes her married name will be Julia Gulia.

2 comments:

  1. Whenever I hear the term Maginot Line I always think of The Major and the Minor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heartily approve of both of your picks. They are two of my top 20 movies of all time.

    ReplyDelete