Friday, June 10, 2011

Bettys Are No Pillocks

One of the perks of running an internationally known Betty Neels blog is all the SWAG that comes with.  Spa weekends, complimentary botox sessions, bosom augmentation vouchers, organic knickers....the lot.  And speaking of knickers...The Estimable Betty Trio of Magdalen, Cindy and JoDee (whilst enjoying an afternoon tea in a secret lair in Central Pennsylvania) sent along a lovely card and their regards...AND THE BEST BOOK I'VE EVER SEEN!

Knickers in a Twist: A Dictionary of British Slang

Sure it's no bosom augmentation voucher,... but still!

Now I'll have a handy way of deciphering common, everyday Britishisms such as:
"I say horses for courses if he wants to get up to some bit of jiggery pokery." (To each his own if he wants to be up to untrustworthy behavior.)
or
"She was keen as mustard to gen up on geegees." (She was very enthusiastic to study horses.)
and even
"The gaffer was ready to pop his clogs when he saw his daughter running around like a blue-arsed fly."  (The old man was ready to die when he saw his daughter running around like a chicken with its head cut off.)

Seriously ladies, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  It was an honor just to be missed...

1 comment:

  1. I was going to claim that I carefully timed it to arrive just as Betty JoDee is able to rejoin us after a sojourn Down Texas Way, but actually I was just lazy.

    It came from a wonderful British-goods store in Newburyport, Massachusetts. If you're ever in the vicinity of Boston, it's just up I-95 and worth a trip (the town and the store).

    We merely wanted to share some little prezzies with our chinas. (Rhyming slang; you can look it up.) Next time you can save me the postage and collect them in person!

    ReplyDelete