Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Begin As You Mean To Go On


Betty Debbie and I thought it would be a good idea to offer an introductory blog post wherein we explain the title, our obsessions and who the heck we think we are.

Who are 'we'?
We are Betty Debbie and Betty Keira, two plucky American sisters living in the Pacific Northwest--and we adore us some Betty Neels.
Sadly, we don't think that being Americans would win us any points from our late Betty muse. Americans in her novels tended to be flashy fat male millionaires, making indelicate displays of wealth and eventually taking the unsuitable (and bony) fiancee' off the hero's hands. But she would like us, we promise. For one thing, we're short and curvy--and my hair color is as near to mouse as it is possible to be. For another, we go to church on Sunday.
But as a disclaimer/confession we should mention that though we came from a pet family, neither of us own any animals to speak of nor do we particularly like (gasp!) them. (Which makes me somewhat sympathetic to the 'bad girl' who doesn't want an over-sized sheepdog mucking up the carpets.) This fact is mitigated by our large(ish) families. Betty Debbie has six kids to muck up the carpet and Betty Keira has four.
Also, as we are Mormon ladies, we think she would not approve of our religious beverage restrictions. That Betty liked her Fortnum and Mason's tea and sherry.

Why Betty Neels?
First off, we love love love Betty Neels. She wrote more than 130 books over the course of her writing career and once she hit her stride most are circumscribed little post cards filled with lame donkeys, Dutch doctors, hospital sluice rooms, English village life, splenectomies, lashings of whipped cream, nursing caps, dauntless heroines, Gucci scarves, and uncrushable jersey dresses. A heaving bosom in the world of La Neels is most likely to occur as a result of an unexpected hemorrhage during a ward round. For this, Betty is a treasured oasis.

But why a blog?
I was cataloging my books a few months ago and received an unpleasant shock. I had known for some time that Betty's entire body of work was near 130 books and every time I would pick a new one up I'd think to myself, "I've got about 30 more...give or take." Alas, gentle reader, I was only missing a couple. Pulling myself away from the dark abyss of no more new Neels, my sister and I hatched the blog.
Also, there wasn't anything on the web like what we wanted. Not to take anything away from the internet, but no one can chat Neels like we can.

The Uncrushable Jersey Dress?
Neels heroines adore fashion. Even when they are plain and dumpy and poor as church mice--no, especially when they are plain and dumpy and poor as church mice, they love to flip through the pages of Vogue and drool over the unsuitably short mini skirts. But even when they have next to nothing and have to pack themselves off to Friesland with hardly a stitch, Betty shows some mercy and lets them throw in the perennial jersey dress--uncrushable and suitable for all occasions. We are given many reasons to feel the pangs of social mortification on the part of these heroines but never, ever too much if they have an uncrushable jersey dress.

The rating system?
We think Betty Neels was probably a pretty cool chick, but since not every book is a winner we've devised a rating system (up there on the side bar) to let you know what we think of each. We like to think that La Neels was a good trencher woman and every dish we've rated makes multiple appearances in her books.
One of these years we'll have to actually try Queen of Puddings...

11 comments:

  1. I am giddy with anticipation.

    Every time I pick up a Betty, I find something new that I learn about her...I also get a kick out of the fact that she was a nurse around the same time our grandmother was a nurse. I'll dig around - somewhere I have at least one picture of Grandma in her nurses uniform...and I know I have seen a picture of her "on the ward".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate to burst your bubble but digestive biscuits are England's crowning culinary achievement. They helped me keep 20lbs on my hips despite a rigid walking schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Shriek) I'm so glad I found you guys! I am a huge Betty Neels fan, which doesn't mean that I'm ultra-serious about her and I love laughing at her outrageous anachronisms! I too am suspicious that some of her last few novels were ghost-written (or even just finished/edited) by a BN wannabe. Let's just say I love me some Betty but once in a while a little snark sneaks in.....last night, here in VT, it was about 8 degrees and snowing, and I huddled in bed with my husband and polished off an old favorite, Caroline's Waterloo (extremely dated, even for 1980!) in about 90 minutes - just the way to spend a cold winter's evening. Could I pretty please be Betty Aimee and join you guys? I've been looking for something like this on the web about Betty for several years....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty Debbie and Betty Keira... THRILLED to find your blog!!! My first Betty was "Sun and Candlelight" ... love her! Backpacked through Europe in college with a non-Betty BFF and insisted we go to Holland just so I could see all the places I'd read about! (and that was 25 years ago!) I have never found anyone who "got" Betty like I did... so happy to find so many kindred spirits here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay Betty Donna! How lovely to meet you. I hope your voyages in college also took in Norway, the Canary Islands and the Scottish highlands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome, welcome, Betty Donna! We love to find new friends and if you've done the pilgrimage then you clear the awesome bar handily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! ("Betty Donna"! Squee!) I just had to tell you that I actually used the phrase "Begin as you mean to go on" to one of my adult stepchildren and had to explain to them what it meant. Light bulb moment for her!

    Also, on our journey in Holland we ran out of Dutch money (these being the days before the Euro and also before ATM's) so the bus driver stopped and made us get off the bus in the middle of nowhere in the rain. He took us as far as our money would take us (shades of Jane Eyre).... although we were cold, wet and hauling backpacks full of stuff we would eventually mail back home, I did feel a secret kinship with all my dear Betty characters trudging along the road with a dog and cat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Betty Barbara here--
    Yay!! another Betty!!
    Welcome Betty Donna! I understand quite well the desire to visit locations from favorite books, as the mijnheer and I have done that on many trips. But to be able to visit Holland and actual Betty locations--now it is my turn to squee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. I had never read your intro before. I'm Mormon, too. Howdy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My first book was "The Moon For Lavinia" and I think I've read almost all her books over the past decade, but Neels is my comfort. Hooded lids and RDD coupled with darling descriptions of Netherlands has made me Dutch crazy. And as I embark on my first trip to NL this year, I need to consult the Betty Travelogue and try not to fall for those tall, strapping men with hooded lids. :P

    ReplyDelete