Tuesday, March 8, 2011

British Word of the Day

Mr. Darcy wondered what the point of being the richest and handsomest man in creation was as all the young ladies were much of a muchness.
much of a muchness
  1. (idiomatic, UK, Irish) Of two or more things, having little difference of any significance between them.
    I don't know which car to buy - they are all much of a muchness ' 'I dare say we're all much of a muchness.  It's a splendid chance to be here and get up-to-date though.'   Off With the Old Love It makes no sense at all but is the kind of phrase you instantly want to adopt and use after the word 'daresay'.
    • I daresay, this boyfriend and the last were much of a muchness.
    • Should you eat that doughnut?  I daresay it and that carrot are much of a muchness.  
    • Being raised by me or being raised by wolves would, I daresay, be much of a muchness for the Littlest van Voorhees...
    I like the idea of working it into a conversation with deceptive casualness as easily as the Queen might pick an Easter cardigan and pearl set for a garden party.  ("Hmmm.  That aubergine cardigan and the leaf-green are much of a muchness...")  How soon do you think you'd be sending friends scrambling for their Smart-phones to see if you'd made it up?









3 comments:

  1. Okay, guys. My HTML is all scatty on this one and I can't fix it. All my lovely and well-constructed spaces are nonexistant so just imagine, if you've run into a weird sentance, that they're there... ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looked okay to me, but then blog posts are much of a muchness... (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

    I have heard this used by real Brits, but they generally just say "of a muchness" and leave the redundancy out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was able to work this phrase into a conversation today (yeah, the conversation was with Betty Keira, but I totally used it appropriately).

    ReplyDelete