Tuesday, March 22, 2011

British Word of the Day

Balling the Jack was the follow-up hit to the wildly popular Whingeing the Flange...

whinge  (hwnj, wnj)
intr.v. whinged, whing·ing, whing·es Chiefly British
To complain or protest, especially in an annoying or persistent manner.

[Dialectal alteration of Middle English whinsen, from Old English hwinsian.]
'Mad as fire she was, ' Alice had said, with relish.  'You should 'ave 'eard 'er, Miss Trent.  And that lunch party--that was a lark and no mistake--'er whingeing away...' --The Right Kind of Girl

Why does 'whinging' remind me of the word 'flange'?  Like: Hey, that flange is loose.  Will you winge it a bit?

3 comments:

  1. LOVE the word. I'm using it with my kids from now on. "Stop whingeing!", "If you whinge one more time we are leaving Disneyland!", "No one likes a whinger.". I can totally make this work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty Barbara here--
    I love the word! But it is not an exact synonym for whine. It's a subtle difference-all in the actual tone of voice. Someone who is 'whinging' is griping, complaining, carrying on, etc. but their voice lacks that fingernails on the chalkboard quality of true 'whining'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you notice that it's misspelled in the Neels text? I wonder if that was The Great Betty or her publishers...Which all makes me think that I shall never take Google for granted.

    ReplyDelete