Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Veni, Vidi Vici, Mini, Midi, Maxi.

Perhaps Suleiman earned his sobriquet "Magnificent" for his brilliant style statement. I mean, if you're going to wear a turban, there's no half-way point.

The subject of turbans has come up a couple of times here at The Uncrushable Jersey Dress. The general consensus is, Suleiman notwithstanding, they are a bad idea.

I think we can all agree that not all "fashion statements" stand the test of time. Even though Betty Keira and I are sisters, we are a generation apart when it comes to fashion. I was a teenager in the 70's - she was a teen in the 90's. What was in fashion for me was far different. It was....The Tyranny of the Hemline. Much like the Reign of Terror, those who were enemies of the revolution, I mean hemlines, were led to a figurative guillotine where their aspirations of popularity were lopped off. Mini's, midi's and maxi's (not pads) were skirt lengths - and I remember vividly that they were all popular at various times in my junior high and high school years - and the length of your hem determined whether you were "with it" or not. The hardest style to deal with was the mini-skirt. They were truly mini in the early 70's - micro minis...and my parents wouldn't let us wear our skirts too short. The rule at our house was that the skirts had to be at least fingertip length or longer. I'm a little aghast at how short that is (stand up right now and try it!)...but nevertheless, Betty Marcy and I would try and fudge it. Did you know that if you raise your shoulders just a little, your fingertips are a little higher? ("What do you mean mom? This is just good posture.") Yeah, our parents figured that out too...so then the rule was no shorter than 3 inches above the knee. It was quite a relief to fashion semi-conscious me when hem lines went down. I remember it well - that was one of the few times that I was on the forefront of fashion...ahh, 9th grade...

Fast forward a few years...I was a freshman in college at the tender age of 17...going on 18. I made myself some clothes before I went. We older Bettys were handy with a sewing machine. I had one outfit that was sooo Betty Neels. I wish I had a picture of the whole ensemble. It was taupe (or as Betty would say, mushroom) which just makes me shudder to think of - because I look horrible in unrelieved taupe. It was the quintessential 1977 uncrushable jersey two-piece (skirt and top). The top had long raglan sleeves and a cowl neckline...and that baby was my go-to outfit for getting dates. I'm not sure what was so special about it, but the boys seemed to be attracted like moths to a flame. A taupe flame.

I was sorting through some pictures for this post, sifting for gold, and I hit paydirt. A picture from my college days...taken about 30 years ago - just after I got engaged. I was home for a quick visit (so the parents could meet Dr. van der Stevejinck). Three year old Betty Keira was my buddy even then (this was shortly after I had taught her to sing, thus blighting her existence). Betty Keira is styling an uncrushable plaid polyester tee shirt, while I am regrettably not wearing winceyette pajamas...no, I'm wearing a taupe nightie. I don't know what my fascination with taupe was...in my defense, I think it was a very fashionable color in the late 70's. (here's my favorite quote about taupe) Pay special attention to the Noah's ark print pillowcase. That sheet set will live in style infamy...ask Betty Keira.

13 comments:

  1. I think we need to find a better word than "Older Bettys"--it makes you sound way less "with it" than you actually are.

    I had quite a lot of Uncrushable Tees. I think they are awesome.

    There was no real hemline tyranny when I was in school but denim needed to be the correct denim (acid washed when it should be acid washed, ripped when it should be ripped, cut off when it should be cut off, pegged when it should be pegged...etc.) The 70s offered so much more scope for the imagination but, as I am often fond of recalling, Grunge was very good to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vintage Bettys? Well-seasoned Bettys?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stinky-cheese Bettys? Better when they're aged ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh to all of them! Let's go with Platinum Bettys. Rich, classy and slightly coveted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, I meant rich in the intellectual sense: definitely not monetarially.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I say it, ala Eartha Kitt, "plat-ti-num"?

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was in law school, non-traditional age students (I was, at 36, the oldest in my class) were known as OWLS: Older, Wiser Law Students. Older Ravishing Bettys = ORBs. Cue the picture of Queen Elizabeth with her scepter & orb...

    ReplyDelete
  8. ORB's...I would like the title better, if it didn't so accurately describe my shape ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Betty Magdalen! I so heart OWLS.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OWLS are definitely better than what as professors we tend to call our (always higher-achieving) non-traditionally aged students--"non-trads"--which for me conjures up visions of tires, although I'm not sure why; maybe an articulated lorry driver would know

    ReplyDelete
  11. We've got pretty high-brow readers around here...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks a lot, I had a dream about turbans last night. Shudder, more like nightmare. There is hardly a redeeming quality about the affected attire.

    ReplyDelete