Saturday, February 6, 2010

You're Welcome

The other Betty's and I have a running quandary. Vast? Lint fair? Faint untraceable accent? Who on earth fits that mold? And so, in that vein, I offer my suggestions for mental eye candy when feverishly leafing the pages of your latest Neels:
  • Rutger Hauer (Numero 4) was a bit of a no-brainer. Granted, the gentleman in question has not aged particularly well and one sees in his piercing blue eyes the soul of a reckless driver. But if one is inclined to turn into a hawk by daylight, I'm sure he'd be first in the queue to break the curse.
  • Daniel Craig (3) as a blond Bond? Unthinkable to all but The Neels who saw in blond heroes a potentially murderous steadfastness that their flighty brunette counterparts lacked. What did Neels heroes carry in the breast pocket of their well-tailored evening clothes? I humbly submit, a Beretta 418 for the thrashing of gangs of rowdy youths.
  • Sean Bean (2). Hero? Villain? Who cares? If a lass needed to get from London to Edinburgh with a minimum of fuss and a maximum of ladies loo visits then this is the fella to do it. If he can usher Frodo to Mount Doom than a little lay-by into the Happy Eater for strong coffee and a visit to the euphemism would be sure not to fuss him.
  • And Sawyer (Number One) is there because he's blond and we more than suspect that his abs would not fail one in an emergency. Otherwise, he also looks a mite reckless for occupations such as chartered accountancy and neurosurgery. But please don't let that stop you from thinking of him as it doesn't stop me in the slightest.
Exit query. Who is your Neels hero?

14 comments:

  1. This is hard. All those guys are too "pretty" by which I mean too Hollywood head shot good looking. But Neels heroes aren't exactly ugly. I can picture one quite easily but can't think who (famous) he looks like.

    *dang*

    You keep giving me fascinating things to think about. That's so mean!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed Paul Newman who later in life did look quite Neels-esque. Vast blond looks coupled with an unfailing charitable instinct. He just might fit the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Betty Magdalen on this .. your picks are too pretty. I have to go with Colin Firth. That man could crumb crackers on my ... uh ... carpet any time. I like the Paul Newman idea and what do you mean Betty Keira that he didn't age well? If only all men could look that good at 80!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant that Rutger Hauer didn't age well. He grew dissipated looking...which, while attractive on some men looks a little blurry 'round the edges on him.

    Also, there is a primary tier of pretty that includes Pitt, Maconahnay, etc... that were entirely unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I agree with Betty Sherri (BeeGee Babe) that Colin Firth is gorgeous, he just doesn't fit the typical Neels hero - I don't sense largeness or vastness. He doesn't have a largish nose(usually described as "beaky")or fair hair. Okay, okay, I know not all BN heroes have fair hair - so I will concede that point. Frankly, he's too good looking...He COULD possibly be one of her few British heroes...but if we're going to go there, may we perhaps put Sean Connery into the mix?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve McQueen is another blond that could possibly work if one disregards the height thing. He could pull off mocking...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Swimmer Brenton Rickard?

    http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/03Ta5Yx93R9wO/340x.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liam Neelson? David Anders in recent work. Chris Botti.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris Botti. Yum. And I like that Victoria is branching out into the wide world of sports. A Neels hero should be able to manage a 500 without breaking a sweat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always imagined a younger version of Rutger Hauer as most of the blond RDDs. * Especially in this photo from the movie- Soldaat van Oranje - http://www.anp-archief.nl/attachment/207528 OR http://www.nlfilmdoek.nl/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/hauertjeukemeer1.jpg

    In fact, in a totally unrelated way, just see Soldaat Van Orange to see what I'm talking about. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cough Rated R cough, cough. I was looking for pictures of Jeroen Krabbé a few weeks ago, that's why I know. The Dutch version of Soldaat van Oranje is on YouTube, by the way, if you want to hear Rutger Hauer speaking Dutch...

      Delete
    2. Incidentally, I've downloaded the movie. Just so I could hear all of them speak Dutch and then hear them speak English in a slight accented English.

      Also, he does fall for an English girl in the end. Which for some reason, makes me happy. Although he did steal her from his friend.

      Delete