Monday, February 15, 2010

President's Day and a Book Drawing Winner!!

Happy President's Day to all our U.S. blog readers! We've been super busy commemorating the school holiday by turning out cupboards and reciting poems of Homeric scope on the topic of the American Presidency. ("There once was a boy from Virginia,...etc.) Also, in the spirit of The Uncrushable Jersey Dress, I perused a visual feast of head-of-state images to ferret out the most Neels-esque. Turns out that most of the lookers were bearded. And we can't have that.
The Venerable Neels might have been squishy on the subject of eye and hair color but on the subject of height (sorry, Harry Truman) and facial hair (sorry, Cleveland through Grant, Lincoln and van Buren (Dutch?)) she was intractable. Eliminate politically dicey ones (say, the last 40 years or so), spin the wheel and we've got Calvin Coolidge. Not too shabby, I say. He looks like he could safely eat up the miles in a silver grey Rolls-Royce. Also, he was born in Vermont on the fourth of July and I think we've got quite a following in Vermont...

After the ceremonial duties of the day were concluded, Betty Debbie and I called to order our meeting of The Grand Poobah Arbiters of Everything to decide our winner for the February Book Drawing! And the winner is (drum roll please):
Betty Magdalen!

Here's her entry for those who want to re-read it. We liked her use of the off-duty roster, Victorian hospital corridors and Horlicks. Betty Magdalen can email us her address and we'll take care of the rest--easy-peasy. Thanks to all those who participated! We had a ton of fun this month and are already planning next month's give-away. Maybe we won't make you work so hard next time...

9 comments:

  1. Thank you all so much. I am speechless! Or, I could steal from Sally Field: You like me. You really like me!

    And this is a wonderful birthday present (I know that my frequent reminders of my impending birthday had NOTHING to do with my winning this contest . . . no, sirree).

    I think I'll go tweet that I won a writing contest. That's still truth in advertising, right?

    Oh, and I tell everyone that this is the best blog evah. And I'm very persuasive when I say it. (Former lawyer and all.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely truth in advertising. You can have anyone ask The Grand High Poobah Arbiters of Everything. I'm sure that will help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I love the photo of Olivia de Havilland accepting her Academy Award for . . . To Each His Own (1946) or The Heiress (1949)? It's The Heiress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was very appropriate of Betty Keira to post a picture of a real "Olivia".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Betty Magdalen and happy birthday! I must say this was some post, squeezing in Calvin Coolidge, Olivia de Havilland and our beloved Betty.... this is a fun blog....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love "The Heiress". Awesome and awful all rolled into one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did I ever tell you about the time my aunt Met Olivia deHavilland who was CHARMING until my aunt made a mistake on the computer and said "Oh Fiddle dee dee" a la Scarlett O'Hara, then OdH turned on the ice?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch.

    I've met F. Murray Abraham, winner of best actor Oscar in 1984 for Amadeus. He was very pleasant. (He lived, at that time, in the same Brooklyn apartment building as my sister & brother-in-law.) I think I managed not to say anything too Mozartian to him.

    ReplyDelete