Monday, March 1, 2010

British Word of the Day

Rugger Noun (chiefly British).
Rugby. A form of football played with an oval ball
use: This Pott's fracture was the result of a particularly fierce game of rugger. I played rugger in my youth.

In Tabitha in Moonlight our heroine runs the Men's Orthopaedic ward and often has ward inmates whose injuries derived from the sport of rugger. Often, within the world of The Venerable Neels, Professor Mijneer Cor Saaks van der Plootsam ter Sane played some rugger in his salad days and is able to converse knowledgeably and sympathetically on the subject. For one reason or another, Dutch doctors never play football...erm, British football not American football (wherein their feet might actually rot off from close association with anything American).

Mijneer Nathan van Voorhees does not play rugger but, oddly, the software coding development methodology....zzzzzzzzzzz(snort). I'm up. I'm up! Where was I? Oh...methodology at his work uses the rugger term 'scrum'. I did not know what a scrum was before my Mijneer engaged in one and now, no matter how many business-casual trousers he puts on in the morning and no matter how many assurances he gives me that his kind of scrum requires no carnal knowledge of his co-workers, I can't help but think of full-contact software coding.

No comments:

Post a Comment