Friday, March 26, 2010

Cinema Betty

Two selections for Cinema Betty this week.

In Stormy Springtime the Professor greatly admires our heroine's serenity. She doesn't fuss or jangle or twitter. Clinking and jangling bracelets always remind me of:
Auntie Mame!

In between teaching a young boy in his formative years words such as libido and blotto, there is also a bit where Mame feigns meekness to get her man.
And when it comes to the appropriate part I hope we all mouth in unison: How bleak was my puberty in Buffalo.
Honestly, the film doesn't care much for the suburbs or what Eliza Doolittle's father would call "middle-class morality" but even so, I've never been so charmingly insulted in all my life.

Our second selection is for Discovering Daisy. Betty Debbie and I thought that we should recommend an African film if only because Africa will never again pass the lips of The Venerable Neels in any other book. My favorite film loosely--oh so loosely--touching African philanthropy is:
The African Queen

Katherine Hepburn (who can either hit it out of the park with me or totally strike out) plays a naive and plucky missionary. She has to enlist the help of grizzled boat (I use the term 'boat' loosely--oh so loosely) captain and all-around drunk Humphrey Bogart to get her down an impassable river.
Adventure and romance ensue and when questioned by nefarious German ship captains on how impossible their trip was, Hepburn's clipped, "Nevertheless" is a thing of cinematic beauty.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe I don't own The African Queen. I am not a huge Bogart fan in general (for instance, he doesn't work for me in the movie Sabrina) but I love, love, LOVE him in this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Sabrina, yes even with Bogart, and I love The African Queen.

    And I love Auntie Mame. How providential.

    But if I start listing all the films I love, we'll be here for a very long time, so I'm done for now.

    ReplyDelete