Monday, September 20, 2010

Bettysday in the Northwest: Part Two

Dear me, I so want to make it work but, as indicated by my awkward smile, I could be called The Adam Sandler of Period Accessorizing. Betty Kylene, however, is rocking the shades and scarf. This Bettysday will be legendary.At the Ritual Bettysday Gift Exchange I brought enamel pins for my Sister Bettys just like Professor Baron Sybren Oosterwelde van Doelsma ter Brandt might purchase in some tucked-away antiques shop in the Cotswolds for his MOC wife which is bound to foreshadow his plummet into love. It would really have set me back had I not manufactured them with my own hands out of...wait for it...pine cones and nail polish.For her awesomely embroidered plunger art, Betty Kylene snagged a few new Bettys bringing her total up to something still pitifully inadequate.I can't begin to tell you how handy Betty Kylene's nurse uniform came in. Naturally we had to start a game of Betty Bingo. Patent leather purse? That's one square. Lurking around a British food store? That's another square. (Will a bomb go off or will I be benignly helped by a Pakistani proprietor or will I end up shelving cans there when I lose my job? I can't wait to see!)
Purchasing travel souveniers for the home help back in Portland? Yet another square. (I would have pictures of that but the van Voorhees children ate all the chocolates.) Bestriding a bronzed pig would be just the sort of activity some sprightly Araminta might engage in. Plenty of them were dragged off to see that Friesian Mother Cow statue if I recall...(Another box checked!)I can't quite decide if this one covers two bases. Totem poles might be the Northwest's answer to Egyptian mummies in the British museum but as we chased this one down (happily not in the company of some lecherous houseman who has walked us off our feet and prosed on and on about dead people) we noticed that Mijnheer van Werdmer ter Hunkerdojkter would have warned us to stay away from this dodgy side of town. (Of course we would have ignored him.) Were we accosted by rowdy youths? Again, happily, no.Ducking into a secondhand bookstore (where our impecunious father will drive the family to the brink of penury feeding his first edition habit) we read a little Punch and then got a kick out of their plastic-wrapped Nurse/Doctor romances. Check, check, check!What do you think Doctor Arnold's ambition is all about?Couldn't find a great, socking Bentley or even a well-bred Rolls but a very RDD Jaguar (must be said 'Jag-you-are' with as little lip movement as is possible) was sighted.Having the time of our lives? BINGO.

4 comments:

  1. Wait! I want to know about the green purse!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please, please, please tell me you bought The Stubborn Doctor Stephen, or at least checked the back cover blurb to see what his deal was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The green purse is mine all mine. I found it in an antique store in Eureka Montana, it had matching shoes. The following Sunday I proudly wore them to church only to have the soles fall off as I walked down the aisle. I had to finish the service barefoot. Betty would have been horrified, but the purse survives and is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a good time wa had by all those present. Betty would have been rejoicing in Betty Kylenes awesome ( sorry....Smashing!) nurses uniform. She would have sighed heavily over the attire and total lack of turbans worn or unworn by the other Betties!

    ReplyDelete