Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Crafting with Betty

Bettysday looms ever closer and for those who like to get their craft on, I put together a fun and easy craft that can incorporate some secret Betty-ness into your everyday decor.
I call them Orbs d'Betty (Because Betty Balls is a dog that won't hunt.) Gathering materials: I found assorted sizes of Styrofoam ba...orbs...at my local Goodwill. Anything round would work as long as you don't mind covering it up.
I bought Mod podge at Michael's (print off their coupons online and you'll save 40% on one item). There I also bought some ink pads to distress my orbs--two shades of brown (walnut and sepia) and one shade of blue. In retrospect I would have bought a third brown finish and skipped the blue entirely as it didn't turn out quite like I envisioned.
One Betty book was bought at Goodwill for a dollar. The Secret Infatuation. I spent 45 minutes tearing the pages (eek!) into strips (horizontal was easier and more readable) and set them aside.

To begin: I popped my orbs on cups and round lids--things that would get them away from the counter and hold them still. Taking a strip of paper I would dunk it in the Mod Podge and then wipe away the excess with my fingers. Then it's as simple as laying them on the Styrofoam...sort of. The smaller ball...orbs needed much shorter pieces of paper (2" or so) than the larger ones. (The smaller the paper the more it will lay flat on a small surface.) I set aside the last page of the book so that I could tear it at the end and put it on the outside of the largest orb.

Also, I found that I liked working with a few orbs at once; draping the paper on one and then letting that get slightly tacky while I worked on the others--the paper seemed to behave a little better for me if it wasn't all wet. I would rinse my hands off periodically when I would get too much glue on my fingers, as well.
And then I gently brushed my distressing ink on the outside of the orbs once they dried. Hmmm. That didn't look like enough distressing to me either.
So then I went Full Monty and rubbed the ink pads all over and worked it into the ridges with my fingers. Much better.
Here's a close up. The basket was a 5 dollar Wal-Mart purchase. I feel very sneaky having Betty Neels out there where everyone can see her.
I had a ton of fun but I dare say I look like I've been booked down at county for drug-related offenses...

P.S. I did have to gird up my loins to rip apart a book...and not just any book but a Betty book and, moreover, one I liked. But as this was a duplicate of one I had and was still in print and had not been sentimentally purchased or acquired, I felt justified.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Betty Keira,

    Love your Orbs d'Betty. I shall keep an eye out for suitable orbs of my own to tart up.

    Have you cleaned up your meth lab yet?

    Love,
    Betty Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. A dog that won't hunt, indeed.

    Oh, and that's me in "Benton, PA" although I have NO idea where Benton is. I'm in Wellsboro, the county seat for Tioga County. I'm staying -- virtually against my will -- in a non-ironic 1950s era B&B. The bathroom off our bedroom has beige wall tiles edged in mauve-cum-baby poop brown, with a Pepto-Bismol pink toilet and beige, brown & pink confetti tiles on the floor. It would be funny if it weren't that I have a non-ironic 1970s bathroom with powder blue tuxedo porcelain fixtures in the basement of my 1800-era Federal house.

    We did try for more, shall we say, up-to-date accommodations and there was no room at the inn or motel, hotel, and most B&Bs. Wellsboro is over-run with gas company people; I will have no reason to complain when I, too, take my share of the gas millions but for the moment I am ethically allowed to grumble.

    Grumble.

    As ever,

    Yours fondly,

    Betty Magdalen

    P.S. When we do get out tiny slice of the gas money, we're getting the bathrooms redone. Honest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LIKE "A Secret Infatuation." Couldn't you have picked on "The Hasty Marriage"? Insert-your-favorite-cuss-word-here-Reilof might have improved under several layers of Mod Podge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly the only reason I picked this book was because I had just bought it (as a duplicate and not for this project) and it hadn't been infused with sentiment (just by hanging out on my shelf with all the other Bettys?)yet. And you know me, Reilof wasn't ever going to be buried at my house...(where's my sticking-tongue-out emoticon?)

    And ironic bathrooms are something I love, Betty Magdalen! Hence the Dwight Eisenhower paint-by-numbers hanging up in mine...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the orbs, what a cute idea. Keira, when we moved into this house in 1980, it had two pink toilets, three pink sinks, a pink tub, a pink stove top and pink oven. We changed out the tub, toilets and sinks early on, but until we did a major remodel three years ago, I had a painted stove top and oven. All the houses in this neighborhood had pink, salmon, turquoise and other weird colors.

    ReplyDelete