Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Betty and I

When Betty Keira and I were discussing the possibility of doing a blog about Betty Neels novels, we also talked about bringing in other topics that would relate. One of the topics that we brought up was talking about other authors that Betty might have liked. Sort of a "if you like reading Betty Neels, you might also like....". While I was making dinner tonight (twice baked potatoes...in their "jackets"), I had an epiphany.

Betty Macdonald.
There are so many reasons to choose her.
  • she's a Betty.
  • she lived in Washington State for most of her adult life. Me too.
  • she was only 2 years older than Betty Neels.
  • she loved to write about food and gardening. She waxes poetic when discussing food.
  • her classic The Egg and I.
  • her autobiographical book The Plague and I - about the nine months she spent in Firlands Sanatorium being treated for tuberculosis (our grandmother, Hellen Claire, also spent time in a sanatorium for TB).
  • She wrote the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle series.

2 comments:

  1. I love, love, love Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle--a staple of my childhood. All our Betty heroines would agree with her clever child psychology aimed at getting kids to do what she wanted them to do not what they wanted to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, REALLY!!!! I love all these books! Read the Mrs Piggle Wiggle as a girl, and my mother read the Plague and I and the Egg and I out loud to us when we were traveling and camping. Probably the only way to keep all six kids quiet at the same time. I never knew that.

    ReplyDelete