Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Long Dark Elevensies of the Soul

Betty Kylene invited me and my daughter over for tea today--well, what passes for Mormon tea...cocoa, juice or peppermint tea. Of course, being Mormon, I have a long and storied passion for cocoa while hot minty water fails to snare me by its dubious charms.

In this (as well as in her love for an array of pre-dinner, dinner and post dinner aperitifs), I have failed to fully appreciate the Betty Neels experience. Still, Betty Kylene did have some totally awesome cucumber sandwiches so we'll always have those.

6 comments:

  1. I do an amazing high tea. Scones & clotted cream, a jam sponge, finger sandwiches (including one with chicken salad that has those yummy savory almonds chopped up inside), etc.

    I had a very Betty Neels Ebil Other Woman type as a guest once. (French and nasty, Florence -- pronounced flor-AHNSSS -- had married a school chum of my first Brit Hub.) She turned her nose up at the vast array and pronounce that it all had too many calories.

    Hey, no prob -- more for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your high tea sounds lovely...especially the chicken sandwich (it's getting on towards dinner time here - I'm hungry)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty Debbie (and all the Bettys) -- I promise we'll have high tea sometime someplace. Y'all are welcome here, of course, but it's be almost 50 years since I was in the Pacific Northwest, so more like I'll have to come to you. With possible both Brit Hub 1.0 and 2.0 -- two plummy accents for the price of one.

    (Oh, and here's the bad news -- after a while that thrill of hearing a British accent actually fades when you live with it. I have to listen to Colin Firth in Love Actually to get it back.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can meet in the middle, Colorado in April?

    ReplyDelete