Saturday, January 23, 2010

Let's talk about hats.

Wedding hats. Nearly every Betty Neels heroine wears one. Unless she is that rarity in white satin and a veil. Usually the bride walks down the aisle at St. Ethelbertha's in a wool suit with a hat that "does something for her".

I was recently reading Dearest Love (to be reviewed next week), and did a mental *hmph*. "Another wedding hat. What's up with all these wedding hats?!"

Then it occurred to me... I wore a wedding hat. I handstitched some leftover lace from my wedding dress to the brim, then added a trailing satin ribbon. It was very 1980. Trust me. Besides, I had fairly short hair - it was easier to put a hat on than it would have been to make my hair look bridal.

I'm not sure whether the hat "did something for me", but it was a solution to a problem. Not only was it a solution, it was a cheap solution. As I remember it, the hat cost me $10, I already had the lace, and the ribbon probably set me back a buck or two.

I shall now endeavor not to snort at the details that Betty put into her wedding hats. After all, I put a little effort into mine.

On another note...you should be very impressed with our decision to have Dr. van der Stevejinck wear his new, pale grey, pin-striped, polyester three piece suit...instead of a tuxedo. The typical 1980 wedding tuxedo was powder blue polyester with a ruffled shirt - a shirt that was embroidered with blue to match and had a matching blue bow tie. I'd much rather look at a dated wedding hat in these pictures than have to see ruffled embroidery and a blue bow tie on my husband.

Bonus! Besides Betty Debbie (in the hat), can you find the 5 other Bettys, in this picture, that have contributed or commented on The Uncrushable Jersey Dress?

7 comments:

  1. So glad you posted that pic in black and white. Yes, I can name all of them but I will give a non-Hanna a chance. Anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...I wonder whatever happens to Lisa Stevens, or "Little Lisa"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was that her last name? Stevens?

    And Betty Debbie, your hat will forever remain the only 80s hat I've ever loved. And thank you for allowing us all to wear yellow dresses with a deep flounce and a ruffled neckline. I felt like Princess Diana (which was the last word in 1980).

    ReplyDelete
  4. He got cropped (not be me - he was just outside the frame of this copy)...his hands are right beside Marcy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy that is the cutest baby ever! I would like to think that for maybe a week or two of my life I have been cuter than Suzy-Q. I was probably trying to pull her hair to make her look bad in at least one picture.
    I do believe that after viewing your bridal hat that I too will have to stop mentally blocking all of the headwear of Neel ladies. You make bridal hats look so promising.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, throw the stranger a bone. Y'all are my New Best Friends, but could I get a family tree? Could you Photoshop the picture so that there are boxes with explanations -- maybe on Flickr?

    No wedding hats for me -- the hat has not been created that "does something for me."

    But there's a post with a picture of me on my third wedding day (one in US with the first Brit Hub, one in US with the second Brit Hub for immigration purposes, and one in North Yorkshire with second Brit Hub for romantic reasons and so his niece could be a bridesmaid) standing with both Brit Hubs here: Who's Your Hero?

    ReplyDelete