Wednesday, January 13, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

Are those cow hooves on that Friesian flag?

It's a good time for turning over a new leaf what with the New Year and goal setting and whatnot. Some people like making mission statements at this time of year and I couldn't think of any better than the Friesian one. So, I did a Google search for Friesian Oath this morning, sure that it would pop up in its English translation with a full Wikipedia page and discussion of its historic relevance complete with illustrative wood-etchings of ancient conflicts. But in the wubulous world of the Internets we came up with nothing. Zip. Nada. (Except a lot of information about agriculture--those crazy Friesians.) Google has failed me. But here it is in Betty Neels' translation:


With five weapons shall we keep our land
with sword and with shield,
with spade and with fork
and with the spear,
out with the ebb,
up with the flood,
to fight day and night against the North-king
and against the wild Viking,
that all Friesians may be free,
the born and the unborn,
so long as the wind from the clouds shall blow
and the world shall stand.

A great oath, no? So literarily handy. Though it appears several times in her body of work, I am so sad I couldn't find any info on it. My kingdom for a working knowledge of Fries!

Anyway, what's your Friesian-inspired mission statement? (Points for including the Vikings!)

P.S. Search for 'Friesian Oath' now on Google and you'll find The Uncrushable Jersey Dress in third place!

[Betty Debbie - here's my Betty Manifesto for a New Year]

With keyboard and Google at my fingers command,
with Neels on shelves and on my nightstand
With paper and pen to take my notes
I'll research and study (and not burn my boats).

I'll type in and edit, I'll publish and post
I'll conquer the world with Keira as co-host.

I have no Viking fathers
of which I am ashamed.
Mine all came from England
(at least the ones that we've named).

[Betty Keira]

I think I'll give you five Betty Points for that Betty Debbie (mostly for the Vikings).
Here's mine:

With five tools I shall keep my land
With nappies and with casserole
With tinned soup, with Costco
and with Infant Tylenol
Up with the paperbacks
Out with the ideas
Conquering, ever conquering the Google search engine
Until with our might we have bent it to the will of The
Uncrushable Jersey Dress...
Vikings!


1 comment:

  1. I should get some points for being first...because that's the only way I can hope to compete.

    I award thee 20 Betty Points. Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete