Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Summer Wedding (more Cooking with Betty Sherri)

Let's focus on the food, people...focus!
Let's pretend I photoshopped in the bony chest. I promise you that Betty Sherri is no Veronica - her fabulous Red Flannel Hash is proof of that.

Red Flannel Hash
Serves 5 to 7
Ingredients:
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
1 lb small red potatoes, quartered
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
½ lb bacon, cooked and chopped
3 medium red beets, roasted, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced (plus more for garnish)
salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
1. Place sweet and red potatoes in a large pot and fill with water. Place pot over high heat and bring to a boil.
2. Boil potatoes for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are still slightly firm and drain.
3. Place a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the oil and onions and sauté for 3 minutes.
4. Add potatoes to the skillet and continue to sauté for an additional 7 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Stir in the chopped bacon, beets and thyme and sauté for 5 minutes. Adjust seasonings.
6. Top with a sprinkle of fresh thyme and serve.

(not our salad - this picture is from google images)
Cucumber, Tomato Mozzerella Pearl Salad

1 pound cucumbers (about 2 cucumbers), peeled and thinly sliced
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 Vidalia onion, very thinly sliced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/2 cup mozzerella pearls (if you can't find the pearl size fresh mozz., cut the larger balls into smallish pieces)
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a large serving bowl, toss together the cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, onion, parsley, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper, to taste. Let the salad stand for 10 minutes before serving.


The bride and groom were given strict instructions, "Cut the top layer! Cut the top layer!".  Betty Marcy had me purchase two styrofoam cake rounds for the lower layers, then just bake enough cake for the top layer. Most of the guests opted for the White Chocolate Macadamia Cheesecake or the Fresh Picked Blueberries From My Front Yard Cheesecake.  There were also lemon filled mini lemon cupcakes. Both the cheesecakes were plain ones purchased from Costco then tarted up at home. I'm bummed that we didn't think to take pictures of them...gosh, maybe I'll have to make another one...

8 comments:

  1. Why doesn't anyone ever tell me what I look like? Honestly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You look like your daughter, you ridiculous thing. And you look like you're happy, despite all those mangoes, and like your skin disqualifies you from having a daughter that grown-up, and if I had your eyes and smile, I would never complain again ever.

      (Except about traffic.)

      Delete
    2. Yes, really. You looked like you hadn't spent all that time slaving away in the kitchen but had swanned about decoratively all afternoon...

      Delete
  2. Because I have a garden over flowing with cukes and maters, I made Betty Sherri's lovely salad. The pearl mozz balls are so cute. I had them only once before this.
    I loved it! The professor tipped the bowl from side to side and said, "Where's the lettuce." No lie. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cukes and maters. Pearl mozz balls. That is so cute, Betty Mary. As is the professor's comment! Ha ha. I meant to have the Strawberry Mango Salad this weekend, but by the time I went shopping there were only two packages of strawberries left - and there was a reason for that. So there was just a lovely Mango à la Nature for dessert after our midday dinner yesterday. (I even remembered how to cut it. Eventually.)
    I am concentrating on the Red Flannel Hash now, I have written the ingredients on my shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Y'know, if we could get Betty Marcy's "How to Frost a Semi-Fake Wedding Cake" instructional video, I would be delighted to learn how she achieved that beautiful bas-relief effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the stuff for Betty Marcy (per her instructions), so I know that the decorations were made with canned fondant that was pressed into a mold (Wilton silicone mold "Baroque"). Betty Marcy let the girls help her - it looked a lot like working with Play-Doh.

      Delete
  5. I was thinking of Red Flannel Hash, today. Wondering if there was a way to simplyfy the process of cooking - by plonking everything (once it's cooked) in an oven-proof dish and baking it instead of spending hours sautéing. :o)

    I made Red Flannel Hash before - roughly following the above recipe - it is totally delish.

    ReplyDelete