Tuesday, March 16, 2010

British Word of the Day

Okay, well it's not really a word. More a phrase. And I don't think it gets used much even in Britain anymore (though I would dearly love to be contradicted).

Honor bright
–noun Informal.
upon my honor; really and truly: I did sweep the floor, honor bright.

"It'll be good as new and you can give it [the ugly Dutch-girl lamp that plays Bluebells of Scotland] to her again."
His small lip quivered as he stared at her. "Honor bright?"
"Honor bright."
-Grasp a Nettle

I think a similar Americanism might be "Cross my heart and hope to die, stick a needle in my eye." Usually, the Brits have us on the mats when it comes to fun sayings but here we've got them beat hollow for atmospherics. Though, Honor bright has a nicer feel and sounds like what it means. But does it come with attendant finger swishing and a hand motion?

If only they would draw up legal documents to reflect this idiomatic expression of solemnly swearing:
  • I Betty Keira do cross my heart and hope to die that what I am about to relate...
  • I do cross my heart and hope to die that I will faithfully execute the office of the President...
  • I Betty Keira, being of sound mind, do cross my heart and hope to die...
Honor bright.

5 comments:

  1. I'm reaching back a bit into my past, but I think "honor bright" is used in Brownies and Girl Scouts (oaths and songs and such)--maybe a holdover from British Girl Guides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of "honor bright" being a holdover from the British Girl Guides.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like it would be lovely in a rhyme or poem/oath.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found it:
    GIRL SCOUT VESPERS
    (Tune- Oh, Christmas Tree)

    Softly falls the light of day,
    While our campfires fade away.
    Silently each Scout should ask:
    Have I done my daily task?
    Have I kept my honor bright?
    Can I guiltless sleep tonight?
    Have I done and have I dared,
    Everything to be prepared?

    I remember this one better:

    GIRL SCOUT WETSPERS
    Softly falls the rain today
    As our campsite floats away
    Silently, each Scout should ask
    Did I bring my SCUBA mask?
    Have I tied my tent flaps down?
    Learned to swim so I won't drown,
    Have I done, and will I try
    Everything to keep me dry?

    I'm pretty sure that "honor bright" is in some of the rituals and stuff, too.

    ReplyDelete