Saturday, March 13, 2010

"Her Dawning Realization" Contest Winner

One of the Grand High Poobah Arbiter's of Everything is more of an early riser than the other...[Betty Keira] and she's not snarky about it at all...so after waiting until Betty Keira had her well-deserved lie-in, we The Founding Bettys had our secret, behind closed doors, no cameras allowed, meeting to choose the winner of "Her Dawning Realization" contest. Debate was heated as each entry was scrutinized carefully - who would emerge triumphant?

Drumroll please....

The winner(s) is(are):

Betty Magdalen - for best picture and authentic use of disgusting side effects. Her prize will be donated (via the Betty Magdalen Neelship Foundation) to Betty Marcy!

Betty Kylene - for managing to imply dead parents and angsty love along with hair care.

Betty Jill - best use of supporting character (tetchy Great Aunt Bodina) in an inspired, just under the wire entry.

Please send us your address (click on the email button on the sidebar - we promise not to spam you...we are not that kind of Betty) - and we'll get your prizes sent right out.

8 comments:

  1. Ladies, it's a great honor. Thanks to all the Bettys out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am honored to have been chosen, and happy to support the scholarship!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slowly but surely my Neel library is expanding :) Today, at the lovely and friendly Paperback Book Exchange in Bethel CT (they're on Facebook), I reserved: Doubtful Marriage, A Gem of a Girl, Ideal Wife, Three for a Wedding (is that title not a bit dicey? hmmmm?) and Tabitha in Moonlight. This is such a cool store: when you reach $25 worth of books, the shipping is free. Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to thank the academy, the founding Bettys and all the other Bettys out there who go unsung. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three for a Wedding refers, I think, to birds (magpies? blackbirds? not crows, surely) that when seen in certain numbers have specific meanings.

    Yup, it's magpies. (Thank you, Google.co.uk):

    One for sorrow,
    Two for mirth,
    Three for a wedding,
    Four for birth,
    Five for rich,
    Six for poor,
    Seven for a witch,
    I can tell you no more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shoulda known Betty Magdalen would come through: seriously, Three for a Wedding ... that had my little head spinning! So get this ladies, 5 Neels for $6.75! I am on fire. I will now return to my persusal of books in my quest to reach $25 N O W so my Bettys may be shipped forthwith!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been gone most of the week for spring break and have to catch up. Before I left, I was so intimidated by Betty Magadalen’s entry that I could not think of one myself, but many hours of stuck with small children later I finally came up with one. I know it’s too late for the contest, but I can’t resist sharing with my fellow Bettys:

    One more hard yank is bound to loosen the damper on the ancient fireplace chimney thought Eudora Figgpott as she sought to warm up the insides of her recently inherited tiny dowager cottage. Pfffff!! The flue gave way and dumped black soot and grime directly on top of her bright chestnut curls.
    A deep chuckle from the doorway startled Eudora into slowly turning around in time to hear Professor Jaarsen van Flipperjibbett ask amusedly as he produced a snowy handkerchief and leaned forward to reveal two white circles of steaming brown eyes, “Are you now to assume a fake Cockney accent and dance amongst the rooftops and chimneypots?”
    “Dear God in heaven,” groaned Eudora to herself, “Just add a sackcloth to my ashes. I love him.”

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!

    @Betty JoDee - love it!

    ReplyDelete