Monday, March 22, 2010

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death





I had to pick up some Liberty print stationary on my recent trip to Target. Now, when penning awkward and stiff little notes of gratitude to the man I love, I shall rock it with Liberty.


I admit that the history of the name 'Liberty' is somewhat disappointing. I had hoped that the name derived from a subversive British paen to American Revolutionary Patrick Henry...Sadly, it is merely the surname of the founder (who in no particular way is related to the ideals of Liberty--unless you count free markets and capitalist enterprise as synonymous with liberty, I suppose). Still, they do have a fun history notwithstanding the name:

  • The magnificent Tudor building (that is the Liberty flagship store) was built so that trading could continue while renovations were being completed on the other premises and in 1924 this incredible icon was constructed from the timbers of two ships: HMS Impregnable and HMS Hindustan
  • In 1989, the store was the target of a bomb attack, in retaliation for Penguin books stocking Salman Rushdie's book The Satanic Verses. (A charmingly plain British girl was probably quashed flat in the protective arms of a vast dutch doctor as he threw her out of harm's way.) Responsibility of the petrol bomb , which was thrown from a passing car and injured four pedestrians, was claimed by "Islamic Concern for Banning the Satanic Verses

7 comments:

  1. I have been very reluctant to embrace this whole "Liberty of London for Target" business. I can't really put my finger on it but I think the crux of it is that I feel like Liberty of London is slumming it by selling at Target. I think I might blog this....

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much more satisfying to make noises with my tongue down here with the proletariat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there's a longer history of Liberty of London prints and textiles at work here. The pretty sprig prints and peacock feather designs are recognizable as Liberty's even without the extraordinary delicacy of their lawn cotton or wool challis.

    So my verdict: Not slumming: licensing! Case dismissed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I am being ushered into the hall to speak with Doug Llewelyn...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in London a few years ago and LOVED the Liberty of London store. Just playing with the fabrics, wandering through the Tudor building, etc... My local Macy's just doesn't have that kind of atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete