Thursday, March 4, 2010

Henrietta's Own Castle - 1975 Discussion Thread

Henrietta's Own Castle falls somewhere in the middle for me. Neither favorite nor loathed (Grasp a Nettle, I'm looking at you), I like how full of details it is. Here's a gem. Henrietta has just surrendered her post and is telling her fellow Ward Sisters about the interview with the Senior Nursing Officer, Miss Brice. They all paused and thought "how awful it must be to be as old as Miss Brice, fifty if she is a day". Just to throw the hard-working Miss Brice a bone, I thought of her as something like Demi Moore and Bo Derek for the remainder of the novel. In an unwritten sequel, I'm sure The Great Betty will let the lonely Miss Brice go cougar hunting for her very own Ashton Kutcher. [Betty Debbie] Speaking as someone who is "50 if she is a day", that particular sentence really struck me. I could have been insulted, but really, considering that The Betty was at least 64 at the time, I just giggled a bit.

As far as age goes...old is always forty years from wherever I happen to be that year (which is a practice I'll still be continuing into my sweet 80s). But I admit that there is some truth to those awful "Thirty is the new twenty" sayings. Back in the day, sixty was practically put out to pasture after which you had to shuffle around in curlers and a housecoat for the few tortured years left to you.

Spinsters. I am not one. No sooner was I old enough to marry than I did. (Not everyone's route, I know, but it worked out swimmingly for me.) Anyway, not even being a spinster, I take exception to Betty's characterization that being one requires a cat...and a cottage (so they can potter absentmindedly, I suppose) and burying yourself in the countryside (even if you're dishy!). I may start a movement: Free the spinsters!

Marnix delivered a foal in his evening clothes and is described as looking "exactly the same as usual". Nu-uh. I've watched Dirty Jobs a few too many times to believe that even Mike Rowe (you're quite welcome) could ever emerge unscathed from that encounter. For one thing, Marnix was kneeling on the ground (squishy Holland ground)--and, secondly, though I've never seen a horse give birth, I have done it myself four times (Tut-Tut. We're all mammals here). 'Tidy' was not one of the words you might apply to the process. As far as I can tell, having spent many hours in front of the telly watching such shows as Dirty Jobs, Animal Planet and All Creatures Great and Small, anytime someone gets a rope to help a horse in labor...you've got to stick your arm way the heck up inside said horse. There is no way Marnix would come out of this looking fresh as a daisy.

I love that she was supposed to bake bread in a tin oven over two hot plates. And when she's eating it (with margarine!--all that effort and margarine!) with our hero he says, "you are a woman of parts, Miss Brodie". I'll say. I don't think he's exactly damning with faint praise but it would be interesting to make a list of what comprises 'a woman of parts'. It reminds me of Darcy's 'accomplished woman'. To begin: Extreme cooking, dishy-ness, turning a hand in the burn unit...etc. Emergency surgery, computer skills, dog walker, cat fancier....

Oh Noes Loes! Nothing to add. I just wanted to say it. Oh. She's the dominee's daughter which might lead some to think that she was an aberration of moral instruction but I know better. As any church lady will tell you, if mischief is being managed, it's always the bishop's kid.

At one point, Henrietta saucily describes Marnix as having "ears like errant wings". That's a G.K. Chesterton quote from a poem which is rather nice (and since we all seem to like the poetry I'll include the whole):

When fishes flew and forests walked
And figs grew upon thorn,
Some moment when the moon was blood
Then surely I was born;

With monstrous head and sickening cry
And ears like errant wings,
The devil's walking parody
On all four-footed things.

The tattered outlaw of the earth,
Of ancient crooked will;
Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb,
I keep my secret still.

Fools! For I also had my hour;
One far fierce hour and sweet:
There was a shout about my ears,
And palms before my feet.


That's right. She's comparing Marnix to a donkey. Oh Betty, you sly thing.

14 comments:

  1. This is one of my absolute favorites; however, the problem is that everytime I see the man's name I think of Mike Connors as Mannix (cue TV theme). I just prefer to call him the Jonkheer (which has to be one of the great peerage titles in all of peerdom--unlike "earl," which during the wedding of the Prince of Wales to the late Lady Diana, the U.S. television announcers always referred to her father like his first name was "Earl").

    ReplyDelete
  2. (strong Southern accent) Hi, my name is Earl...this is my other brother, Earl...(*snicker*)

    I never watched Mannix...whenever I saw the name "Marnix" in the book, I kept think of a short-tailed cat (manx)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the reasons I like this book is that this reader fell in love with the jonkheer long before the heroine did. The precise moment was during the first encounter at a rare bit of Neels’ profanity. He is saying that he would arrange to turn on the gas, and she grudgingly agreed: “‘It is a bit chilly. . . .’ He gave a short laugh. ‘It’s damned cold.’”

    Normally Neels only has doctors muttering darkly to themselves or forceful imprecations in times of crisis that makes Jolly jump, but all in Dutch. The jonkheer actually uses “damn” again later (a profanity, along with “h—l,” what our household refers to as John Wayne-cussin’).

    In one of the books (can’t remember which) the hero swears forcefully in his own language in an moment of great emotion and the heroine responds, “Don’t swear your beastly Dutch oaths at me!”—which I always thought was a funny line. I made the mistake of telling Professor van der Hertenzoon once about it and whenever I mutter darkly to myself (okay, about him), he rejoins, “Don’t swear your beastly Dutch oaths at me!”—promptly causing me to throw anything handy at his beastly Norwegian head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like to put out my formal thanks for Mike Rowe. Thank, thank, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re Betty JoDee: "John Wayne-cussin'" I think I may have to use that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. roflol...beastly Norwegian head. He he he

    ReplyDelete
  7. We might as well tackle the "S" word, Betty Debbie (perhaps a child bride yourself?). One should be very careful flinging it about. In fact, the endearing thing about Henrietta is that she is quite worried about such a state (she actually invokes the word) but still refuses the Pharmacist (you go, girl!). I did not marry until 29, lived in apartments then a small house with a cat (who survived to age 17 and saw the birth of 3 of my 4 children), neither danced nor drank (and no, I'm not Mormon), can sew and cook, play the piano with more enthusiasm than skill (a la Neels), had a pleasant figure (more splendid now), dated sometimes but generally "boring but worthy" men, and still wore white satin at my wedding (read the euphemism)--all in the 1980s and early 1990s. Therefore, I proclaim that Betty was not so anachronistic as others claim--at least no more than I was myself. One can also tell why I have always had a soft spot for her "sp----rs."

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Founding Bettys agree that the wearing of the white should never (what never? no never.) be considered anachronistic and (aside from the cat because it is all the Founding Bettys can do to own fish) we agree that that's just the kind of sp....er we'd be.

    But about the cat...I just couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was definitely a child bride! This June I will have been married for 30 years to Dr. van der Stevejinck...so OBVIOUSLY I was young (or else I'm old now...dang, I'm getting long in the tooth).

    I find myself feeling slightly wistful for Neels heroines who might really have preferred a white wedding, but instead get hustled down the aisle in a skirt and jacket...but then I think of marrying off my own kids (which I've done 3 times so far) and I would love to give them the money to elope! Well, maybe not quite, but I have to admit that it is VERY tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm all for elopements and I'm pretty sure Mom and Dad would have countenanced it too (with a little, little warning and at least an invite to hurry out).

    I'm always scratching my head over how many of our heroes who don't have any of their family come over (to England) for the wedding. They could afford it and are we not always being treated to how easy it is to travel from Holland to GB? I mean, it's not like they're always in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's a sub-category of sp****ers, namely sp****er lawyers: The cats are named Thurgood & Marshall. (Or Warren & Burger, if your politics run in the other direction.)

    I, as previously noted, married for the first time at age 42, for the second time at age 51, and finally wore the Big White Dress at my third wedding (to the same guy as in my second wedding) just because we wanted the bridesmaids to be happy in their very pretty dresses.

    Betty JoDee -- I'm not the expert on this, but there are situations where an earl (the aristocratic variety) is referred to quite properly as Earl Russell, or Earl Spencer. I know the first one is correct; the philosopher Bertrand Russell was an earl, and was referred to as Earl Russell, not the Earl of Russell.

    I loved this book upon re-re-reading (I haven't read the entire Canon twice, but I did endeavor to read them all, in order, at some point, and I'm pretty sure I got through at least the first 40 or so. Henrietta would have been in that bunch, for sure). This time, I particularly appreciated the little house. In fact, I ♥loved♥ the little house; in some ways I was sorry she'd have to move into the Castle. But then in other ways, who am I kidding? Of course the Castle -- all those lovely antiques with all those lovely servants to dust them??? -- is a better deal all around.

    When I was a gainfully employed junior associate, I went looking at houses I *thought* I could afford in Philadelphia. One was basically a two-bedroom apartment in the shape of a house: living room in front, eat-in kitchen in back on the first floor, then two bedrooms & a bath upstairs. (All that and I still couldn't afford it.) Another house I couldn't afford was even cuter/weirder: four rooms stacked on top of one another. (In the end, I bought a five-bedroom former chunk of a convent, with three bathrooms. Even with all that, and a garden, it was cheaper than the dollhouses. Location location location.)

    I agree, what's up with the weddings that the entire village can attend, but his parents can't get to? (I think the villagers cost less as extras; the parents have to get proper scripts and who can be bothered?)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, you've sold me on cats for sp...ers. If I got to name them Thurgood & Marshall. (Or Warren & Burger, if my politics run in the other direction.) then it would all be worth it. That is why you have cats, right? The fun names. I smell a blog post on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I won't even wait for your cat name post, but will tell you why our cats are named as they are.

    I have mentioned previously that my first husband's surname is Blanco White. When we married, I had two cats, Dixie & Hallie. Hallie was getting on in years, and Dixie was a good bit younger, so I explained to Henry that we needed to get another cat to keep Dixie company because cats are SO much less trouble in pairs.

    We went to the local shelter, but they needed us to have references from my current vet, and as my last vet had been a practitioner of Santaria (or voodoo, not sure which), I hadn't been seen him for a while. That meant we needed to get Dixie & Hallie to a vet pronto so that then the vet could vouch for us.

    The vet we went to happened to have two litter-mates for adoption. (I forget what the boy cat's name was, but the female was named Mia.) It seems some guy brought them home and his wife didn't even bother with the euphemistic "I'm allergic" but just ordered them out of the house. Dude paid the vet to board them until they were adopted; his only stipulations were that they stay together and never get declawed. (Trust me, I have the evidence -- lots of evidence! -- that they have not been declawed.)

    The male kitten was black & white, but the female was a tricolor: white, orange stripes & grey stripes in patches. Henry and I had a joke list of baby names that would be funny with the surname Blanco White: Albion, Blanche, Bianca, Clare, Faire, Lily, etc. As we were considering whether to adopt the kittens, I suggested we could use one of the fake baby names.

    "But the female is polychromatic," he protested.

    "So we'll call her Polly."

    And to come up with a boy's name to go with Polly, we chose Linus, as in Linus Pauling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How very Neels of you. Maybe we'll do a contest sometime with fictitious pet names. I can see that you would be a natural at it.

    ReplyDelete