Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Question of the Week

Grasp a Nettle has so many adorable bits that I'm still see-sawing on my opinion of it. Near the end of it Doctor Hotty van Hunkerinjk and Oliver and Jenny stumble across a small fair tucked behind the main streets. They play games and have ice-creams and the Good Doctor wins a 'hideous toy dog' at the shooting gallery. To even things up he buys Jenny a bead necklace. She hung it round her neck and admired it at length, knowing that she would keep the gaudy thing for the rest of her life.

I know we've all got them. My gaudy beads are a pair of paper 3-D glasses purchased with tickets to the Hanson Planetarium U2 Laser light show--our third date. Mijneer Nathan van Voorhees kissed me (more or less chastely) on a nearby footbridge after the show for the first time and proposed in that very spot nine months later. Ah, what a lovely digression...

So, what have you pressed in lavender between the pages of your Merriam-Webster's?

4 comments:

  1. I made a "For-Sale" sign as an April Fools joke for Dr. van der Stevejinck's car (a week before we got engaged). The car was a circa 1960 Rambler with a pristine body. I put Dr. van der Stevejincks dorm room phone number and the words "Must Sacrifice" "Runs Good" and the real clincher, "$45". He recieved several phone calls befor he figured out what was going on. We still have that sign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ring box Nathan made out of origami :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, the first present that Professor van der Hertenzoon gave me was a stunning hammered copper bowl. Little did I know that my future would hold purple (yes, I stated purple) stretch (yes, I stated stretch) velour (ditto) jeans that were too short.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Founding Bettys have never met a pant too short as we are so short ourselves. But velour stretch? Yikes.

    ReplyDelete