Friday, August 6, 2010

Cinema Betty

The Proposal was a little too short and tapioca-like to spur me to to depths of inspiration so I'm going for the obvious:
The Proposal (2009)
It's not that great. Really. To steal horribly from Pirates of Penzance...There are the remains of a fine romantic comedy about The Proposal. Sandra Bullock is as charming as you can get as a harried Canadian publisher. Ryan what's-his-name plays her American beleaguered personal assistant. INS troubles prompt an impromptu engagement/wedding in the Frozen North. Betty White is the foul-mouthed grandma (I'm kinda over it.) and the whole thing deserves a meh.

Since they went to see the musical in
The Vicar's Daughter, I have no problem recommending:
Sunset Boulevard (1950)
I love this movie. I've been a fan of William Holden since seeing Stalag 17 (watch me work that in sometime!) and the whole movie has lovely, desperate, pitiful bass notes. He couldn't possibly play a role as an RDD (leave that to Gregory Peck) as he is a little too shifty looking. He'd make a great fink cousin to an RDD that lures unsuspecting Aramintas to Holland and breaks their heart.

1 comment:

  1. Blah on The Proposal. Of course we saw it at the drive-in in a bank of fog so maybe it's better unfuzzy.

    William Holden--Sabrina--fink brother.

    ReplyDelete