Thursday, August 26, 2010

Pineapple Girl--Discussion Thead

Eloise and her mum live in a flat behind the Imperial War Museum which I imagine is a nice quiet address. How many visitors go to the Imperial War Museum each year, do you wonder? I wandered over to their website where I was treated to a promotional poster for a featured exhibit (see right). Question: Is the cartoon trench rat in poor taste or in atrocious taste? Visitors would be pouring in for that.


Eloise's nursing friends at one point ask 'had someone dragged her through a hedge backwards'. This is one of those British expressions that has made its way into my speech. When the four-year-old (and it is ALWAYS the four-year-old) comes in from playing and he's got dirt smearing his face in patterned whorls, rips in his jeans and something unmentionable mucking up his shirt then there's really nothing better to say.



Dr. van Zeilst asks Eloise how old she is...so she asks him back. "What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander". Many years ago, someone (maybe Betty Debbie) told me never to equivocate about my age. If you lie and say you're younger then you run the risk of having people think you don't look very good for your age. Words to live by. But seriously, since when has an RDD ever been put off (materially) by an age gap?


Liske wore jangly bracelets to a dinner party - while Eloise wore 'no bracelets to drive a man insane.' I have an aversion to wearing anything on my wrist--my husband keeps trying to convert me to wearing a watch but no dice. When I do feel the need to don a bracelet it is either the metal band (one thick loop of beaten silver) or the wood (one smaller loop of dark wood)--never both at the same time for fear of driving a man to insanity.



Eloise sneaks away while RDD is busy taking care of a food poisoning outbreak...then she says something about 'one man's poison'...I can't remember the last time someone else's food poisoning or similarly barf-y illness wasn't a major hassle for me personally as I'm more often then not the one expected to hold the bucket while they purge...

3 comments:

  1. "Terrible Trenches" an unmissable family exhibition? While I would find it fascinating, I can't imagine taking the grandkids.

    Re: bracelets. I have several that I like - but I wear them one at a time and they don't jangle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother hammered into her four daughters an immutable rule: "A lady never has to tell her age or weight."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to the Imperial War Museum in London. It's actually a popular and very good museum. I found lots of interest, while Dr Lynderlynk and my father, Dr McClishovitch went gaga over all the mechanical and vehicle exhibits. I'm always tickled when I find something/somewhere I did or went to on our dream trips to the British Isles.

    ReplyDelete