Saturday, August 21, 2010

Grace Livingston Hill: Part Four

Through These Fires (1943): Lexie and Ben spend an awful lot of time half a world away from one another. When he comes under heavy fire the thought of a little girl swinging on a gate sustains him. He writes a letter to tell her that she kept him going and it goes on from there but they begin to be pen pals and don't meet again until page 209. Still, it's sweet and interesting and has a ton of home front details.


Not Under the Law: I have it around here somewhere but can't find it--so excuse me not using any names. Girl witnesses bootlegging wherein one of the gang is an old high school friend. She runs away from home, finds a gentle community to live in, stumbles on a land agent's shack (that she is able to move onto free land), decorates it (love those bits about all the things she can stuff into that cottage), finds a teaching job, is harassed by a would-be suitor, rehabilitates her former school chum and lives happily ever after. A woman's work is never done!


Dawn of the Morning (1939): Set in 1824, this book would have you believe that a bride would go an entire day before looking up and seeing her husband. Charles loves
Dawn (who has has seen just once) but she is being made to marry his older brother (who she hates). When older brother skips off, Dawn marries Charles--but she (for the love of Grace Livingston Hill) still thinks she's marrying the baddie. So then, after the vows, she ups and offs. Cholera-stricken family members, a run-away new bride, danger and intrigue...all to come back to the spot we started at--with a bride who had no good reason to run in the first place.

2 comments:

  1. I love "Not Under the Law"...it's the only GLH book that I've read where the girl actually marries someone who has been less than perfect - a reformed rum-runner!
    The descriptions of all the stuff she is able to put in that shack are delightful (I think she even makes her own mattress)...even more so when you realize that the shack is one tiny tiny room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had already found some GLH books at my UBS (The Best Man, Lo Michael, Rose G., Out of the Storm etc.) and some are good, others - ehh. I like the early romance ones. So far, my favorite are The Best Man & The Substitute Guest. Sometimes she gets a little preachy, and if I'm gonna read scripture I prefer my own bible, but she's great for relationship stories w/o trash.
    Since my last B'day I've used my Kindle quite a bit. I haven't bought a book yet,(frugal, thrifty, cheap - take your pick). There are some GLH's at Amazon and I've read these: (Cloudy Jewel, The Enchanted Barn, Man of the Desert, Marcia Schuyler, & The Witness. I've got The Search next on deck. Amazon doesn't have many for free, so I'm going to have to figure out how to download off Gutenberg Project. I did find one at Betty Ariel's UBS in VA called Found Treasure. I finished it this morning and I'm still looking for the treasure. Just when the romance is about to begin the book ends. AAACCKKK!
    I've not read any of the ones you posted. I plan to read all 4 GLH LABies and I'll be looking for some new freebies!

    ReplyDelete