Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Custard


Our heatwave is over. Yay! That means I don't have a problem turning on the oven. I was too busy to go to the store, so I wanted to to make something with ingredients from my kitchen. Here's what I came up with: Custard.

Baked Custard
4 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
dash salt
3 cups hot milk
ground nutmeg or ground cinnamon for garnish

Preheat oven to 350'. Spray Pam on six 6-ounce custard cups and place in a large baking dish.

In large bowl, whisk eggs together eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt. Beat until sugar is dissolved. Slowly pour in hot milk, while whisking. Pour into custard cups and sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon (or in my case, since I was out of nutmeg...I used pumpkin pie spice). Put the baking dish in the oven then carefully pour in hot (boiling hot) water up to the level of custard in the cups.
Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until set around the edges and still loose in the center. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack until room temperature, then refrigerate.

Verdict:
I love custard. No apologies. My fifteen year old didn't like the slippery texture and he found it bland.

No comments:

Post a Comment