Saturday, January 15, 2011

Betty and the Real World

All Else Confusion:
When in Bath, Annis visits the American Museum with Jake's godmother. 
The café serves light lunches and a wide selection of home-made cookies. That great American Italian dish of pizza and salad will cost you £2, while Connecticut Snickerdoodle are 70p each.  
A) Who knew Snickerdoodles originated in Connecticut?  B) My husband used to love them until, on his 30th birthday, I made him a wonderful batch.  They did not agree with him.  (Which I maintain had nothing to do with my cooking and everything to do with his constitution--a notoriously upset-able and manic member of his physical being.) and C)I am not a Snickerdoodle fan--I find nothing offensive about them but I'm not getting any younger and have taken to applying the economics law of Opportunity Cost to each of my dessert choices--and Snickerdoodles just don't make the cut.  (But black licorice does.  Riddle me that.)

Annis exited the American Museum and discarded her HAZMAT suit and wondered gently if viewing the arts and crafts of that country was worth contracting any lingering colonial bacteria...

Jake takes Annis to Popjoys while in Bath and the name just delighted me no end. (Say it ten times over and see if you're not smiling.--apply the plummy tones of Julia Child and you might laugh yourself sick.)
Beau Nash House, built in 1720 for Juliana Popjoy - Beau Nash's lifelong mistress became Beau Nash's own residence after he lost his own house through gambling.Upon his death, Juliana Popjoy was so distraught, she spent the majority of her remaining days living in a large hollowed out tree.[citation needed] Near her own death, she moved out of the tree and back to her birth home where she herself died.
Dear Wiki Overlords, please let it be true, please let it be true, please let it be true...


While Jake is stalling Annis' final disclosures, he marches her around Pompeii and through a ruin called The House of Vetii.  In the entrance foyer the prosperous and almost life-size image of Priapus weighs his [redacted for the good of all Bettys] which protrudes from beneath his tunic against a bag overflowing with coins in a set of scales that he holds. 
There is a picture to be found through that link there that came with the wiki entry but I leave you with the caveat that that which is seen cannot be unseen...Anyway, though it was in the entry-way, The Great Betty, makes no mention of it--but maybe that's why Jake marches Annis out again...

Only By Chance:
Addy, one of her fellow servants at Hensen's is spending her holiday at a Butlin's camp.
...a chain of large holiday camps in the United Kingdom. Butlins was founded by Billy Butlin to provide affordable holidays for ordinary British families.  His inspiration for his holiday camp empire came from an unhappy holiday on Barry Island in his youth, when he had been locked out of his bed and breakfast accommodation all day by his landlady, which was normal practice at the time.
How horribly classist to note that any fellow whose occupation is providing the great unwashed masses entertainment just had to be named Billy Butlin.


*So, sorry to have so few pictures but Beau Nash was a mere tangent and Mr. Priapus was a non-starter.

6 comments:

  1. Someone on Twitter just informed me that the barnacle's reproductive organ is 150% of the barnacle's body size. Sometime the Internet provides just that little bit more information than we really wanted...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I visited the American Museum I was about eight. Among the period rooms is a tavern where they served gingerbread. (I'm not sure that was authentic fare for a tavern but never mind.) I took one whiff and threw up on the floor. To be fair I think I had stomach flu, but the incident lived in infamy in my family and American gingerbread was regarded as a dangerous substance. Perhaps that's why they switched to snickerdoodles.

    When I visited again a few years ago, with some knowledge of American arts and antiques, I realized what a fabulous collection it is. (And no vomiting)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alas, I too have had an unfortunate experience with Snickerdoodles - about 35 years ago. It took me about 30 years to overcome my tendency to have the dry heaves from their smell. I still can't/don't eat them, but at least I don't have to leave the room when they are brought in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snickerdoodles? Offensive? I love Snickerdoodles!

    And Connecticut? I'd have bet they were PA Dutch.

    One reference I found said they were a mid-western invention.

    Everyone wants the credit!

    ;-)

    me<><

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made them recently from, of all things, an Emeril Lagasse recipe. I had previously never tried them. Mine, I hate to say, were divine. (I was visiting a friend who adores them, so to be a good guest, I made them in such a way that she could thaw just one & bake it...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love snickerdoodles, but don't get them much now that I am gluten free..
    We loved our short stay in Bath in 2001. We thought the bus tour was the best way to see the most in the shortest time. Would love to spend more time someday.

    ReplyDelete