Monday, January 3, 2011

Polly - Discussion Thread

There is comment that Munychlon is a nicer word than 'April' . Really? I suppose it might be if you happen to be a Latin scholar. I found it to be pretty obscure...but after some inter-web-nets digging I came up with this reference:
Munychlon, the tenth month of the
Attic calendar, corresponding
nearly to our April.
(Plutarch's Lives Volume I)
Frankly I think I'd rather stick to April. Munychlon Fools Day just doesn't work for me.

Staff nurse 'swells up like a turkeycock' when she finds out that Polly left the ward to take a little kid to surgery. I'm imagining one of those large bosomed nurses...and now you are too.

At the Crewe Station Sam strikes up a conversation with the fleeing Polly:
"What is that revolting thing on the table?"
"A s-sandwich."
Sam picked it up and looked at it closely. "Someone should write to The Times about it," he observed...

As tempting as it is to discuss revolting sandwiches, let's go another direction. Here's what Wiki has to say about The Times:
The Times is a daily national newspaper published in the United Kingdom since 1785, when it was known as The Daily Universal Register...
The Times is the original "Times" newspaper, lending its name to many other papers around the world, such as The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, The Daily Times (Malawi), The Times of India, The Straits Times, The Times of Malta and The Irish Times. For distinguishing purposes it is therefore sometimes referred to, particularly in North America, as the 'London Times' or 'The Times of London'. The paper is the originator of the ubiquitous Times Roman typeface, originally developed by Stanley Morison of The Times in collaboration with the Monotype Corporation for its legibility in low-tech printing.
The Times was printed in broadsheet format for 219 years, but switched to tabloid size in 2004 partly in an attempt to appeal to younger readers and partly to appeal to commuters using public transport. An American edition has been published since 6 June 2006.

When Polly starts her career as a nursing student, a helpful second year nurse introduces herself as Honeybun, Freda. Discuss.



2 comments:

  1. Last night, while I was reading Roses Have Thorns, I asked Betty Ross about Tunbridge Wells. "It's in Kent," he explained. "Famous for having disgusted people living there, writing to the Times." It seems there's frequently letters to the editor signed, simply, "Disgusted in Tunbridge Wells."

    I love Freda Honeybun. I'm sorry she never got to marry an RDD/REW of her own. We'd be able to write about her as Freda RDD, neƩ Honeybun, and how cool would that have been?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My older daughter is named Freda (although pronounced 'Fray-da') and I often call her 'honeybun." My younger daughter is named Miriam, and we never call her 'Veronica.'

    B. Baersma

    ReplyDelete