Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Star Looks Down--Discussion Thread

Let's talk about the circumstances under which it would be okay for our heroine to give money to her stupid brother, William.  Books, lab equipment, school fees?  Sure, I wish he'd pay his own way but won't quibble with a loving sister help her brother through school.  But short-changing herself so that Will can swank about in fancy waistcoats while on dates with girls who you so know are Brighton bait, makes me want to smack her. 

The Professor used to play rugger when he was young.  I think this is my cue to post a picture of Russell Crowe.  Yes?
Would you like to see my rugby team?

We get a catalog of pets, including Gem and Mini...Awwww, Gemini.  I know they're probably twins but am I the only one who assumes that the Professor's 10-year-old niece thought this was cute and he just went along with it?

There's an entire scene having to do with a 15 year old girl who needs emergency surgery for an ectopic pregnancy...Beth has to track down the parents for permission.  It's quite a social commentary....teen pregnancy, neglectful parents, living on the streets....I love how The Venerable Neels wafts us along on a froth of Harlequin-y goodness and then slams us back to earth with the gritty realism of an After-school Special (From which I learned where to hide my drug paraphernalia (Answer: in a hollowed-out book), the perils of backyard swimming pools if your little brother finds your stash of crack cocaine, and helpful phrases like,'Don't be a Narc!')

1975 Aston Martin Lagonda.  Oh yes.
1975 Citroën DS--meh.
He drives an Aston Martin Lagonda AND a Citroën CS (which I'm not finding online--only a DS designation)

9 comments:

  1. Betty Henry's parents had a Citroën in the 1970s and it was ugly. But worse, it has some odd hydraulic system so that when you started the engine, the chassis would lift up a few inches. Betty Henry's mother (a wonderful woman but NOT a Betty) would describe it as the car "lifting its skirts" -- a wonderfully Victorian image!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Professor used to play rugger when he was young. I think this is my cue to post a picture of Russell Crowe. Yes? Okay, and then we can post a 'real' rugby player.
    Betty Brigid does Rugby This is my daughter who married an Irish Prof and lives in Cavan, Ireland! She was made redundant from her job as a special ed teacher at the Jr. College and in her own words in now a 'kept woman'. So as a hobby she decided to learn Rugby. Turns out she's great at it! And was chosen to move up to a regional team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. About that Citroën...(you know I'm only talking about thë Citroën so that I can add umlauts...I ♥ umlauts)anywho...as a car, it's a strangë bird.

    Bëtty Mary - I'm very imprëssëd with Bëtty Brigid!Turning a sports hobby into a possible carëër? Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bëtty Débbiê -- Ì'm with ýøü!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, didn't anyone else notice that Betty Brigid is a splendidly built book cover with an utterly charming smile? She's even married to an prof. So now we have at least two walking, talking Betty Heroines--Betty Kylene and Betty Brigid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I figure she'd be an Olivia. But did any of the Betty gals do the sport thing? I could see them doing tennis or croquet, but rugby would be beyond Betty's expectation for the 'girls'.
    And Prof. Barry is blonde, six foot, and though not classically handsome he's nice looking. (see Family Photo) However he is far from VAST and but for his well muscled arms could be called stickish, not to his face of course. And we know how Betty felt about the Irish and Americans!
    Betty Ariel is more of an Olivia/Arimenta, stacked with great eyes. Betty Megan would be an outlier as she is in this family of Amazons! Boy am I glad they aren't reading this. LOL
    Now any one of My Three Sons would make a great RDD or RBD. Me, biased, nevah! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are those really your three sons? Oh my. You are so right. The little guy is pretty darn cute, too. And, if that's the hubby, he does a pretty good job of passing as an RDD as well. As for Prof. Barry I think he could definitely be one of her later RBDs who tended to be tall but not quite as vast. The girls are darling as well.

    Didn't one of Betty's heroines play croquet?

    Betty Mary, you might show Betty Brigid this article (I can't put in a hyperlink because I flunked Betty Magdalen's class): http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/JSH/JSH2006/JSH3302/jsh3302d.pdf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here, Betty JoDee, I'll be a complete suck-up and do the hyperlink for you.

    The short story with the Jolly Hockey Sticks heroine -- ah, yes: A Christmas Wish -- has a heroine working at a girl's school. She seems to know her way around a sporting pitch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for article, Betty JoDee (and for the ease of getting it Betty Magdalen). It's interesting. I'll send it on to Betty Brigid.

    Yes, those are my sons, my guy, and my grandson! All nice looking gents.
    Now, the park ranger Son-I.L. might fit the antagonist mold -not so tall or vast, long red hair (he's got longer prettier hair than all the gals!) and would never drive fast. However, he's Betty Ariel's hero and has all the traits of a 'gentle'-man and scholar.

    Oh, I remember the field hockey gal! It was my favorite sport in H.S. gym class and that stuck with me.

    ReplyDelete