Friday, July 16, 2010

Cinema Betty

Sister Peters in Amsterdam deals quite extensively with the physical flaws of the protagonists. Addy has 'frightful' red hair. Coenraad has a 'large beaky nose'. His nose is such a prominent bit of the story (relatively speaking) that, when considering my cinema selections, I knew I had to include it. Rejecting numerous noses (Durante, Barrymore, Streisand, etc.) as insufficiently beaky, my mind lit on:
North and South (2004)
"But, Betty Keira, Patrick "Nobody-Puts-Baby-in-a-Corner" Swayze doesn't have a beaky nose!" To which I reply, "Not THAT North and South. Girlfriend, Richard Armitage. Richard Armitage, Girlfriend." You've been introduced. Now when you stare at him it won't be impertinent.
He is a hardscrabble, barely parlor-ready, cotton mill owner. She's a minister's daughter (like Addy!) and a new transplant to the rough and tumble atmosphere of the North (of England). Deep antipathy and awesomeness ensues.
His beaky nose quivers with rage and suppressed passion and humiliation throughout. Betty Debbie thought it would be well to warn you that he beats the living tar out of a subordinate early in the mini-series but that his reasons are eventually shown to be sound.
Excellent supporting characters and all the right people die.

Betty Debbie suggested that the best movie to illustrate the central plot device of Cruise to a Wedding (contretemps at sea) would be:
The Poseidon Adventure (1972)
Okay, I actually have nothing to add to this very
strange studio promotion photograph. "Hey guys, tousle your hair.
Add some grease paint. Now, hold still! More still!"


When a cruise ship goes belly up, it's a foul-mouthed priest with a curious antagonism towards the Almighty who must shepherd a tiny band of survivors to the hull where they hope to escape. Lots to love but my favorite bit is Shelly Winters who, derided as a tubby, old matron, makes the swim to save their lives.
It's not your mother's oceanic disaster movie:
James Martin: What'll I tell the others?
Mike Rogo: Tell 'em to break out their hymnals and start singing "Nearer My God To Thee" !

6 comments:

  1. Richard Armitage, Richard Armitage, Richard Armitage. Sigh. And conviently available to watch instantly on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty Barbara is sad to confess that she must be the only woman in North America who has not yet watched 'North and South'. I now go to put this on my Amazon wish list. My library has it--but libraries make you return things and I think I'm gonna want to hang on to this.
    Signing off in anticipation of an enjoyable movie experience---

    ReplyDelete
  3. Psst, I haven't seen it either. Don't watch too much TV or many movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richard Armitage.....I tumbled upon North and South when I was googling some Jane Austen adaptations. I watched it. I then watched a few episodes of the BBC version of Robin Hood (Richard's Guy Gisborne- the baddie), the Vicar of Dibley(PBS- he's the boyfriend)....yup...I pretty much chased him all over the TV channels trying to find shows with Richard in it. I did find a forum online that had fans more fanatical than I was, so I was put in my place.
    P.S: No, I did not go to therapy to fix my addiction, it's still there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a side note Bettys... The Netflix version of North and South is missing a few parts of scenes. I checked it out from my library after watching the Netflix version many, many times. It made a few little pieces fall into place. Totally worth it for us fanatics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Costco recently had a package set for not too much. You could get Wives and Daughters, Cranford and North and South in a box set for, like, thirty dollars. Totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete