Friday, July 30, 2010

Life After Betty - Nevil Shute, Part I

Yes, Nevil Shute was a guy. No, he didn't write Harlequin Romance novels. That's not to say he didn't include love stories in his novels, it's just that most of my favorite Shute novels are not primarily about romance.

*He's a Dead British Author (which is something he has in common with most of my fav authors)
*He was a successful Aeronautical Engineer. I have a decided yen for aeronautical engineers...(Dr. van der Stevejinck just so happens to be one)
*While tending to be slightly earthier than La Neels, his characters seldom go to Brighton, at least, not the main characters.

The first Nevil Shute book that I was exposed to was A Town Like Alice. I think I saw the 1981 mini-series before I read the book - but it was well over 20 years ago, so I couldn't say for sure (there's some eye candy...a young Bryan Brown as the ringer Joe Harmon). They meet during WWII - both are prisoner's of war on the island of Malaysia...Joe (an Australian) drives a truck for the Japanese, Jean (an English girl) is with a group of women and children prisoners that have no camp and are forced to march from one village to the next, while their numbers dwindle due to disease and death. Joe steals some chickens, to give to the hungry women and is crucified for his troubles, while the women are forced to watch. Fast forward several years...Jean is back in Malaysia and finds out that Joe didn't die that day, Joe is in England, having recently discovered that Jean wasn't a married woman...Much of the story is narrated from the point of view of Jean's solicitor. You can find both the book and VHS tape on Amazon. I own both.

3 comments:

  1. Betty Barbara here---
    I cannot tell you how many times I have watched the tape or read the book. I just love it! I finally found a DVD--but it is truly pathetic quality. I do not understand why a top quality DVD of this has not been done.
    Anyway-- young Bryan Brown--now there's some serious eye-candy! And the story is swoon worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Someone besides me is familiar with this! I hold on to my VHS very carefully - it's worth keeping a tape player for - that and my carefully preserved VHS copy of Pirates of Penzance (which I am replacing with a DVD in September).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember seeing this when it first came out. I can't remember enjoying a story more than this, and what a rich piece of cake story it is!!! I also have the lamentable VHS, but love it love it love it. Loved the book as well.

    I've tried to lobby for a good transfer onto DVD, but to no avail!

    ReplyDelete