Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Blueberry Pie

When I was a kid, there used to be ads for Efferdent Denture Cleanser...and to prove the effectiveness, they stained some dentures with blueberry pie. Maybe it's the image of stained fake teeth that puts me off...but for whatever reason, I've never been a huge fan. don't get me wrong, I love blueberries and I love pie...I just don't think the two of them need to be seeing each other in 'that way'.

Blueberry Pie

1 quart(ish) thawed blueberries - you could use fresh, but I needed to finish up last year's blueberries before I start picking this year's crop.
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
dash of salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 beaten egg

Sprinkle thawed berries with lemon juice and set aside.Mix dry ingredients together, then toss with berries. Pour into pastry crust, apply top crust. Crimp edges, cut slits for steam, brush top with beaten egg, bake at 400' for 40 to 50 minutes, until crust is brown and filling is bubbly.

Verdict:
Way too sweet for me...I still am not in love with blueberry pie. Dr. van der Stevejinck and 19 year old Alex will have no trouble polishing it off...anything that is compatible with ice cream is compatible with them.

Blueberry Pie
is mentioned in The Promise of Happiness

3 comments:

  1. Betty Barbara here--
    I do much better with a cobbler--mix blueberries with peaches/nectarines. Classic cobbler topping and then top hot cobbler with whipped cream or ice cream. Oh yum!! Blueberries will also substitute nicely for strawberries in any short cake/short-bread recipe. The liberal application of whipped cream/ice cream helps a lot. (Oh Duh!!)

    Betty Barbara now goes to consult her refrigerator for blueberry availability----

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should have gone with the tart idea. Still, a very pretty pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am strictly a 'crisp' girl when it comes to cooked fruit. Otherwise it doesn't tempt me.

    ReplyDelete